Davis vs. Oregon

I’ve just started a more direct comparison between the twins. I’ve installed the two systems literally side-by-side, with the main units near the bottom and the anemometers on the top of the same 5 m pole. It was set up just three hours ago in dismal but dry and mostly calm weather, so this preliminary appreciation is still very provisional. The Davis is (I think) 10 years old and has visibly suffered from 40

OK, more comparisons. As can be seen in the attachment, the comparison is still pretty good. My fault: the barometer has not been set correctly on the Davis.
Temperature: has tracked an estimated

I’ve owned an Oregon station and would never buy again. Felt like a cheap toy compared to the Davis. Do you think your Oregon station will last 10 years?

I see no reason why it should not last 10 years. It is identical to the Davis; mechanically, all the parts are interchangeable, from the same moulds. The only visible difference is with the wind, where one has the vane above the rotor and the other has the vane below the rotor.

The only major difference is that the Oregon firmware is totally different and very poorly designed, but there is no reason why it should not work indefinitely, once it has been set up.

the plastic with the WMR300 is not as well UV protected you will find

Even so, I’m not particularly worried as I’m already 86 and will be sucking dandelions by the root before it gives up the ghost :slight_smile:

haha
then make sure to have as much fun before that happens (which it looks like you are ) :slight_smile:

I first had an Oregon, liked the many wireless sensors. But Had to replace the batteries in the solar packs every year, got expensive. After a couple years in the Arizona sun the plastic started breaking down and a freak hail/ice storm finished it off. By then I had a Davis vantage pro wired, the only damage it suffered in the hail/ice storm was the anemometer cup got broken, cheap to fix. Several years later the davis is still going with no sign of degradation in the plastic.

I really think the Davis station is the best money can buy :smiley:

If you can afford it! :frowning:

I don

I must admit, I’m becoming perplexed at some of the posts in this thread. For example, Brientim mentions the failure of a UV sensor. To the best of my knowledge, OS have not offered a UV sensor for the WMR 300; in fact, it seems to be a bone of contention amongst a number of users.

dssheibe mentioned “many wireless sensors”. As far as I am aware, the only wireless system of the WMR 300 is between the console and the main unit.

Is it possible that these posts referred to earlier models than the WMR 300 which, visibly, looks like the identical twin to the Davis? If so, has OS improved the quality of the WMR 300 compared to earlier models which seem to have been referred to? Oranges and apples?

I’m guessing that you are correct and those are generic OS product line comments rather WMR-300 specific. However I don’t think “apples and oranges” really applies, it seems to me that the 300 didn’t fall far from the OS tree. It’s interesting that OS introduced the 300 with some fanfare but then never followed through with the additional sensors and pretty much let the product die on the vine. One could speculate that they got a letter from Davis’s attorneys, or that few customers were interested in paying Davis prices for an OS product & support, but who knows :dontknow:

I don’t think there is any question of paying Davis prices for an OS product. In fact, it was the price that attracted me as being considerably less than half what I would have paid for a Davis equivalent with the interface. My biggest beef with the OS was the atrocious firmware which took me three days to set up and another three days to refine. In fact, it was only last week that I managed to get the barometer pressure working on Weather Display.

I’ll second your speculation of the letter from Davis’s attorneys as they obviously used the same maker of the hardware and the same moulds. Nearly all the parts are 100 percent interchangeable. I can now say that time will tell whether the quality of the plastic is as poor as some make out (if I survive!)

As I recall the original pricing was in the same ball park as Davis US pricing, which is way less than non US pricing, but I could be wrong…

My recollection wasn’t faulty, posted 3 years ago:

Well… On the ‘authorized online retailer’ Oregon Scientific Store, the Oregon Scientific WMR300A Ultra-Precision Professional Weather System is still priced at $599.99 USD - unfortunately, it is out of stock at the Oregon Scientific Store and currently unavailable at both Amazon US and Amazon CA.

Mine came from a German company for

[quote author=Devil link=topic=67323.msg540905#msg540905 date=1544112579]
Mine came from a German company for

I do not think they are making the WMR300 anymore
and instead the WMR500 is coming out