cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: Davis vs. Oregon  (Read 1303 times)

Offline Devil

• Cyprus 3325'E 3455'N 300 m up
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 63.0
    • Mosfiloti weather services
Davis vs. Oregon
« on: November 29, 2018, 04:30:04 PM »
I've just started a more direct comparison between the twins. I've installed the two systems literally side-by-side, with the main units near the bottom and the anemometers on the top of the same 5 m pole. It was set up just three hours ago in dismal but dry and mostly calm weather, so this preliminary appreciation is still very provisional. The Davis is (I think) 10 years old and has visibly suffered from 40+C summers and just 0-C winters. However, I've just replaced the anemometer. The Oregon is new.

Temperature : in 3 hours, it has dropped from 20.1 to 17.0 and both systems track to within 0.15C. Frankly, I find this amazing as I would expect the Davis to show signs of age

Humidity: casual looks over the 3 hours have always been within 1% (currently D88% O89%)

Wind, not a great deal: max gust today D 3.1 m/s E at 15:56 O 4.1 m/s  E at 15:56. Max av. D 0.8 m/s NE at 15:40 O 0.6 m/s NNE at 15:58  Not sufficient data to even provisionally compare..

Rain: none

More info when I have more weather! :)

Devil

Offline Devil

• OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 63.0
Re: Davis vs. Oregon
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 09:51:34 AM »
OK, more comparisons. As can be seen in the attachment, the comparison is still pretty good. My fault: the barometer has not been set correctly on the Davis.
Temperature: has tracked an estimated 0.2 C over the eight hours.
Humidity: has tracked an estimated 2 percent, with the OS looking to be slightly more sensitive than the Davis.
Wind: visually, the wind speed and direction seem to be fairly good with small variations in the gust speeds but the Davis seems to show a higher average speed. Is this significant?
Rainfall: the Davis (>10 years old) is not responding correctly (new seesaw ordered). The OS does seem to indicate the different showers over the period. Strangely, the 2.8 mm that it indicates for today is identical to the 2.824 mm of the WeatherFlow system (in which I have less confidence!)

As I write this, a storm is brewing, but the lightning is still >10 km from here. If we get it then it should be interesting. The rain is just starting hard with a little hint of hail. Strangely, the OS has responded less to a sudden downpour than the Davis, as I write. I'll keep an eye on this anomaly. The lightning is now at less than 5 km from here, according to WeatherFlow.

PS1 hours later. The problem with the OS rain was that the funnel was bunged up with debris.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:39:51 AM by Devil »
Devil

Offline NorCal Dan

• Dan - KJ6RGX
  • Davis Vue/Win10
  • Ocean Park, WA.
  • OS/Browser:
  • Mac OS X 10.10.5
  • Chrome 70.0.3538.110
    • Traveling RV Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 04:48:27 PM »
I've owned an Oregon station and would never buy again.  Felt like a cheap toy compared to the Davis.  Do you think your Oregon station will last 10 years?

Offline Devil

• OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 63.0
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 09:46:20 AM »
I see no reason why it should not last 10 years. It is identical to the Davis; mechanically, all the parts are interchangeable, from the same moulds. The only visible difference is with the wind, where one has the vane  above the rotor and the other has the vane below the rotor.

The only major difference is that the Oregon firmware is totally different and very poorly designed, but there is no reason why it should not work indefinitely, once it has been set up.
Devil

Offline Weather Display

• Davis VP2
  • New Zealand
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 70.0.3538.102
    • Weather Display
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 08:29:51 PM »
the plastic with the WMR300 is not as well UV protected you will find

Offline Devil

• OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 63.0
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 08:21:56 AM »
the plastic with the WMR300 is not as well UV protected you will find

Even so, I'm not particularly worried as I'm already 86 and will be sucking dandelions by the root before it gives up the ghost :-)
Devil

Offline Weather Display

• Davis VP2
  • New Zealand
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 70.0.3538.102
    • Weather Display
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 05:41:53 PM »
haha
then make sure to have as much fun before that happens (which it looks like you are ) :)

Offline dsscheibe

• Phoenix, AZ
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 62.0
    • Scotts Weather Station, Cactus Wren, Phoenix, Arizona
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 11:57:14 PM »
I first had an Oregon, liked the many wireless sensors.  But Had to replace the batteries in the solar packs  every year, got expensive. After a couple years in the Arizona sun the plastic started breaking down and a freak hail/ice storm finished it off.  By then I had a Davis vantage pro wired, the only damage it suffered in the hail/ice storm was the anemometer cup  got broken, cheap to fix.  Several years later the davis is still going with no sign of degradation in the plastic.
Scott
Davis Pro2 Plus daytime aspirated, wired
Weather Display

Offline Asperitas

• OS/Browser:
  • Android 7.0
  • Chrome 70.0.3538.110
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 06:49:25 PM »
I really think the Davis station is the best money can buy :D

Offline Devil

• OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 63.0
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 08:01:28 AM »
I really think the Davis station is the best money can buy :D

If you can afford it! :(
Devil

Online Brientim

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 08:25:26 AM »
I dont think this is a fair comparison they are really not in the same competitive market.

I purchased an Oregon Weather Station when they released V3 some 12 years ago. The UV sensor failed in the first year and was replaced under warranty. However the rest of the system still resides in my backyard and is still fully functional. It is very faded, not maintained or have I replaced the batteries in years.

About 3 years ago I did buy a VP2 Pro 6163, Leaf and Soil. It is really like chalk and cheese in quality of build and price.

Oregon does offer cheaper option headed at a domestic use including expansion of wireless t/h and pool sensors and I still have a few but reliability is questionable to say the least and their is no calibration.

In concluding, there is significant differences based on the price point and if you can afford a Davis it is a very good investment but if you cant Oregon will probably do a reasonable job.

Offline Devil

• OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 63.0
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 10:22:33 AM »
I must admit, I'm becoming perplexed at some of the posts in this thread. For example, Brientim mentions the failure of a UV sensor. To the best of my knowledge, OS have not offered a UV sensor for the WMR 300; in fact, it seems to be a bone of contention amongst a number of users.

dssheibe mentioned "many wireless sensors". As far as I am aware, the only wireless system of the WMR 300 is between the console and the main unit.

Is it possible that these posts referred to earlier models than the WMR 300 which, visibly, looks like the identical twin to the Davis? If so, has OS improved the quality of the WMR 300 compared to earlier models which seem to have been referred to? Oranges and apples?
Devil

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • Crystal Ball broken! Please post the URL.
  • Northern California, U.S.A.
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Chrome 70.0.3538.110
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 02:06:05 PM »
I'm guessing that you are correct and those are generic OS product line comments rather WMR-300 specific. However I don't think "apples and oranges" really applies, it seems to me that the 300 didn't fall far from the OS tree. It's interesting that OS introduced the 300 with some fanfare but then never followed through with the additional sensors and pretty much let the product die on the vine. One could speculate that they got a letter from Davis's attorneys, or that few customers were interested in paying Davis prices for an OS product & support, but who knows :dontknow:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 02:08:25 PM by niko »

Offline Devil

• OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 63.0
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 04:32:02 PM »
I don't think there is any question of paying Davis prices for an OS product. In fact, it was the price that attracted me as being considerably less than half what I would have paid for a Davis equivalent with the interface. My biggest beef with the OS was the atrocious firmware which took me three days to set up and another three days to refine. In fact, it was only last week that I managed to get the barometer pressure working on Weather Display.

I'll second your speculation of the letter from Davis's attorneys as they obviously used the same maker of the hardware and the same moulds. Nearly all the parts are 100 percent interchangeable. I can now say that time will tell whether the quality of the plastic is as poor as some make out (if I survive!)
Devil

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • Crystal Ball broken! Please post the URL.
  • Northern California, U.S.A.
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Chrome 70.0.3538.110
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 05:07:12 PM »
As I recall the original pricing was in the same ball park as Davis US pricing, which is way less than non US pricing, but I could be wrong...