112018lg.txt file showing wrong wind data

My webserver host had issues for a few days so i needed to upload data from the 112018lg.txt file to Meteotemplate script.

On completion of the data upload i noticed all the wind data seemed low so i checked the entire file and yes all the wind data was wrong.

I’m at a loss to know how the data ended up being wrong. All the other data in the file is correct.

I checked the October file and it’s showing the same low wind values.

I only thing i’m thinking is the wind values are recording in m/s rather than Km/h.

I would have to check values against those uploaded to WU to compare.

Knots?

The file recorded 38.4 at 8.17 when the actual value was 100.0km/h. I tried every combination of kt m/s and mph and none match the recorded to the actual.

its not clear what units you have the logfile set to

Initial set up had km/h set and this is what is being reported in the Software but not in the logfile it seems.
Where do i check logfile is set to km/h?

you don’t want to change the logfile units once set
you do that via control panel, units

i.e either metric or USA
i.e what is the barometer reading in the logfile, that is the clue

so after all these years thinking that as I had mph set for wind speed units it was saved to the log files it turns out the log file ( set to metric) saves them as knots

Yes. But that can’t explain the difference recorded by mickopla 8O

Aren’t there some “clipping” settings somewhere, which would restrict high readings?

Mine is set to Metric for sure. Another storm today so another chance to compare actual to whats recorded in the log and there is no correlation there.
How the logfile is recording this data is puzzling me.

What station do you have?
Are you looking at windspeed or gustspeed in the logfile?
Where are you seeing the “actual value”?

I have a Davis Vantage Vue but am using an Inspeed Vortex for wind speeds
I’m looking at windspeed and gusts
The Actual Values are being recorded in Weather Display and reflect everywhere bar in the logfile.

if you have metric set, then its knots in the logfile, regardless of what unit you have set for windspeed in WD

OK Brian i didn’t know that. So the log just takes a record of the current conditions at an exact time every minute? So in theory a gust could be missed if it was recorded between the times of logging? Or would it record the Max Gust during that minute period and then log it.?

I didn’t say that
it should be the max gust over the 1 minute

Thats not the case for me Brian. We had three storms here this month. Gusts of 109.4km/h, 100.0km/h and 74.6km/h and none were recorded in the Logfile. All show in WD as either monthly data or all time records so its just in the logfile they are not recorded.

what was recorded

Go to the 9th of November and click here to see the station graph. Graph showing the correct Max gust of 109.4km/h yet data from the logfile showing 66km/h.

the logfile is in knots if its set to metric
i.e what was actually recorded (the number) in the logfile, that is my Q

Sorry Brian, the number was 34.8 in the logfile and 109.4km/h in reality.