Cumulus migration

With Steve retiring from Cumulus, I’m starting the process of exploring the switch to WD. Yes Cumulus will continue to work for me. But I’d rather switch sooner rather than later as it would be inevitable when I would get a new weather station at some point.

I’m running the Saratoga scripts for most of my site. So outside of the posting the usual WU, CWOP, etc, I think all I need to do is setup the real time uploads.

I’d like to do the switch in a gradual process to minimize my downtime, and not put me in such a rush to make the switch. My thought is I would put up a sub site with the Saratoga script files there, make the config changes and file changes for WD. Then setup to the realtime to the sub site.

The big question is I have a serial data logger, which I can’t share. VVP won’t work for me. What I was looking at is putting a MetoStick on the weather PC. So leave the production site up with the Davis logger. Meteostick with WD. From what it looks like on the MS manual, I just install a serial port driver and a new COM port should just be there. Anyone used the MetoStick on Windows 10 PC along with WD? Any gotcha’s I need to watch?

Thanks.

I am assuming that the meteostick will be like a meteobridge? (which WD does support)

Ken first developed his scripts for WD, so they work OK
but yes you just need to setup the clientraw uploads

I do have a youtube video showing how to set that up
http://www.weather-display.com/youtubevideos.php

Not quite a metobridge. It’s a USB stick that acts like a console with datalogger. Has it’s own temp sensor and barometer built in. Supposedly shows up on your PC just like a serial port.

https://www.smartbedded.com/wiki/index.php/Meteostick

ah, so you would treat it like its a normal davis data logger you are connecting to?

That’s the theory anyway. I was just hoping maybe someone here has already done that.

I think I’ll email the Smartbedded guys and see if it can truly be used this way.

Welp, that was a bust. They emailed back quickly. The Stick can’t be used in this manner. It needs the Hub or Bridge.

Not looking to add more equipment. So I guess I’ll have to migrate without it. Thanks.