cronlazersnow.exe won't run

HI Brian
Looks like 2.9 is working correctly. I checked the 2 boxes in WD “Setup/Advanced Misc” “Enable” USB Laser sensor and “use cronlaser.exe”, “Save & Exited” WD and when I restarted it “cronlasersnow” and “LRTimelog” started normally. I’m taking 5 minute readings now and they are correct. Also the logging in “Input Daily weather” “Snow Input” is updating correctly.

Thanks

:smiley:

MikeyM

I still get the ERROR: Device cannot be opened at time/date message. After pressing Start LRTimelog runs and logs measurements.

After about 5 minutes the “restarting LRttimelog.exe” message appeared and LRTimelog started up again.

Dennis

for some reason the program can not connect to your device
which is a hardware issue on hour end
try a pc reboot

Dennis check to see if you have the file “HID.dll” located in your Weather Display folder. If so, copy and save this file to another location in case you need to reinstall it. Then delete this “HID.dll” file from your Weather Display folder and see if the program will run correctly. Just a thought … Worth a try.

Check out this forum link. Maybe helpful, maybe not …

http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/511631

Thanks Jeff, I have confirmed HID.dll has been renamed, now deleted.

Dennis

Did that resolve the problem?

No it didn’t, sorry I wasn’t clear.

What’s strange, is I haven’t really changed my configuration since everything was working last winter. Other than an occasional WD & Win10 update. I just plugged in the sensor and attempted to start cronlazersnow. and was baffled when it wouldn’t run. Which I now believe was due to that version of cronlazersnow not able to handle the error I’m getting.

Also, all of the Porcupine util’s work with no errors/problems.

And WD may actually be working without cronlazersnow showing it. Ive been busy with visiting relatives so I haven’t paid close attention. But it looks like cronlazersnow starts LRTimeLog which appears to be feeding the measurements to WD’s snow input screen.

I’m not sure if cronlazersnow.exe can run standalone (including AtUsbHid.dll) without a WD installation, but I tried it on another Win10 PC and got the same symptoms; cronlazersnow runs posting the error, but when started, runs LRTimeLog like it should.

I’m hoping to be able to spend more time with it tomorrow.

Dennis

did you try a pc reboot

Dennis, I’m just grasping at straws but is your LRDemo program set on “centimeters” and set to read “continuously”? If this doesn’t resolve your problem maybe MikeyM or some other cronlazersnow user can chime in with some ideas for you to try.

Good luck!

Brian; Yes I have rebooted the PC, even tried cronlazersnow along with AtUsbHid.dll and LRTimeLog.exe in the same folder on another computer, not sure if that is a valid test. But got the same results, error in cronlazersnow.

Jeff; For me LrDemo starts up in Single Measurement Mode and that setting is not “saved” unless “Save to Rangefinder” is pressed. I was hesitant to write to the rangefinders nonvolatile memory, however being desperate, I saved the Continuous Measurement Mode. But it didn’t help.

Note; I have also written to Richard at Porcupine Labs asking for help.

Thanks,
Dennis

Dennis, I’m running out of ideas. My cronlazersnow is running fine with the Windows 7-64 OS. I’m running WD Version 10.37S81

Maybe share this forum link with Richard at Porcupine Electronics.

Good luck!

maybe try a different USB port

That was the very first thing I tried before even coming here for help.

Dennis

Dennis,

In your WD folder there should be a file called “AtUsbHid.dll”. What is the date/time of this file and what is the size of the file? Mine and MikeyM’s is dated 6/20/14, 10:22 pm and is 72 KB in size.

Jeff,

Yes that is what I have also,

Dennis

I wonder if has something to do with a Windows 10 update that has occurred since last season … I’m running out of ideas. #-o

I received a reply from Richard of Porcupine Labs.

From the relative lengthy description of my situation I sent, he does not feel there is anything wrong with my LR4 rangefinder. Quite frankly, I have to agree with him as all his utilities run and work properly.

Although Jeff’s suggestion to send a link to this forum was a good one, I did not as I had already sent my email. And I’m not sure it would help as Richard would have no idea as to the internal workings of cronlazersnow, which is primarily what this discussion is about.

Dennis

there might be another way
where the LRTimelog.exe is run to output the data to a file (which WD reaeds in) instead of to the console
if you run that program from a command DOS prompt and use
LTTimelog.exe → outfile.txt

I just got out an old laptop that I haven’t updated Windows 10 since May of 2018 and cronlazersnow runs properly.

It is Windows 10 Version 1709 Build 16299.125.

I cannot use this laptop as my as my Weather PC but I can use it to test cronlazersnow.

My thought is to now update this laptop to the current version of Windows 10 to confirm my cronlazersnow issue is due to an update. Is there information I should gather to assist troubleshooting before doing the update?

Dennis

I can now confirm, my issue with cronlazersnow occurs after the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, version 1809, is applied.

With version 1803 and prior cronlazersnow works fine. After updating to version 1809 cronlazersnow errors trying to open the USB LR4 rangefinder.

Dennis