Removal of "wunderground"

Now that they even remove the data access vi API, I would like to see “wunderground” completely remove out of the data sharing options.
They not only don’t fix problems with uploading data to them, they also treat the (free) data providers like junk and I would love to see the community fighting back against IBM’s greed.

I know they say they are “an IBM company” but I’m not sure how deep the IBM oversight penatrates, and may allow WU to have it’s own strategy and business plan.

The IBM I deal with is very good, and forward looking, recognizing that a business needs to make a profit. My employer has a developmental relationship with them and it is always rewarding to get an update on how that division is doing.

On the other hand, from the time that Jachym with Meteotemplate has been making comments, he’s never been very supportive of WU. Another person I had some interaction with had developed a board level device to make older stations of fame that were now rendered pretty useless because outdoor sensors were no longer available, and worked closely with APIs from WU, and their change, even for hobbyists, pretty well put the screws to his device.

I know there are enthusiasts who like to upload so their home station data is present on the web for them to view relatively for free. To cut them off entirely seems a bit draconian, so maybe there is some feeling about making shares with WU more proactive than so easy, but then again that sort of disrespects Brian’s work.

I don’t have an answer that fits all, but wanted to share some thoughts.
Dale

I do not understand what you mean with "the data access vi API, ".
Is there any new information? As I understood in all posts by WU, there will be an end to the “free” forecast/maps/etc-API. Understandable as it is misused by some companies showing the “free” WU forecast as their own.
There will also be a changed / improved handling of our own data, which is now a non-API request delivering .csv files).

Yes, in December I will have to rewrite my scripts which show the stations WU data in different ways.
But neither I nor the users of my scripts did find a decent replacement for storing and retrieving our data as easy as we have done all those years with WU.

Wim

what Wim said :slight_smile:

Ditto!

PWS also charges for their API and takes your data. Other than a link back to your website don’t seem to provide any service for your data.

Here’s their announcement: https://apicommunity.wunderground.com/weatherapi/topics/end-of-service-for-the-weather-underground-api

yes, we have all seen that, and there has been other threads about that
but they do say you will still be able to access your stations data (via some new api, no details yet )
just not the forecast or map data anymore (a new api will be for that, not free)

Just reached out to AerisWeather - and they will be providing a free API to all contributing PWS. Still waiting to hear the final plans for WU, but believe the intend on doing the same.

Would be great to use CWOP, but I’m not aware of them having an API. It will probably take a bit for the dust to settle, but I’m sure the community will find a new place to land if needed. I use my own PWS data to pull into Kodi (media center) and Home Assistant (smart home). Would be awesome if I could cut out the middle man and pull the data direct from Weather Display.

• Mark