How does the new WiFiLogger work with WD?

I know the big deal now is to have our wx stations publish our readings directly to several different services (althought it seems WU has sort of shot themselves in the foot lately, so we’ll see how many continue to post their data there, but that’s another story.)

Unlike them, I really don’t care too much bout those services (although my RainWise IP-100 is sort of neat when it works), but would like to use the interface to feed my local computer running WD with my readings. I have my VP connected through a data logger and piece of phone line to a serial port, standard fare for an older interface.

I see this thing uploads to FTP sites and the numerous other sites, but wonder if I can use it to make my VP console into a wireless station and attach to my computer that runs WD, and therefore I can use it to update FreshWDL, Meteotemplate, and so on.

There is a bit of money involved to order one and install, only to find out WiFiLogger just sends stuff to a web site somewhere.
Has anyone gotten one of these gizmos and have they used it in this way?
Dale

WD should work OK with this data logger

Thanks for the reassurance, Brian.

Dale, about two months ago, I purchased the WiFiLogger, as an experiment - I was thinking at buying a Meteobridge and decide to try the WiFiLogger instead.

With that said/written…

The WiFiLogger works similarly to a standard logger, such as the Davis Instruments 6510SER serial or 6510USB USB loggers, but without the connecting cable. The WiFiLogger could also be compared to the Davis Instruments 6555 WeatherLinkIP as both are using the house networking to provide their data. But the WiFiLogger offers a lot more flexibility. For example, once you have done the initial settings, the WiFiLogger is continuously available on the WiFi network (through the router).

Weather Display has to be setup to get its data from the Vantage console using TCP (transmission control protocol) at a specific port number.

I have attached the WiFiLogger manual so you can have a look at how to initially setup the unit and what the unit can do.

Should you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask… :wink:

WiFiLogger 2018 - WiFiLogger 1.00 Manual.pdf (388 KB)

Thank you for the in depth follow up, and what is most valuable from these forums, personal experience. Nothing like someone’s hands on experience and report of problems, weaknesses or strengths of how these things work. The forum truly brings interested parties together, no matter where they are.

This is great news, and sounds as if it does what I’m looking for.

thank you again, I’m off to look at the manual you attached.
Dale

If I buy this wifi logger will work just like a classic usb?
Rather, WD will be able to retrieve data back several hours.

Not like a classic USB data logger as the console needs to be continuously connected to a computer.

The ‘WiFiLogger’ has no cable connection to a computer.

The ‘WiFiLogger’ is more like the Davis Instruments WeatherLink IP Data Logger rather than the Davis Instruments WeatherLink USB Data Logger as it creates a communication link between the weather station console and the local network.

The difference between the ‘WeatherLink IP’ and the ‘WiFiLogger’, is that the ‘WeatherLink IP’ connects to the modem/router through a network cable whereas the ‘WiFiLogger’ connects to the modem/router wirelessly. Thus, other than the power cable, there is no other cable coming out of the weather station console.

The best advice for the use of the ‘WiFiLogger’ is, once communication between the data logger and the modem/router has been established, the ‘WiFiLogger’ should be assigned a fixed IP address inside that modem/router. This way, if the modem/router needs to be rebooted/restarted, the ‘WiFiLogger’ will keep its assigned fixed IP address.

Weather Display must be setup to receive the data from the ‘WiFiLogger’ through a TCP/IP connection (from a specific IP address and port number).

I have not had the occasion to test the amount of data that is kept within the ‘WiFiLogger’ as it is always in communication with my Weather Display.

Thank you for the information.
I think it’s about just the problem, I’ll stay and the classic usb version.

Before giving up, why do you not try to contact Wojciech, the designer of the ‘WiFiLogger’.

There is a very active message base (with many questions and many answers) as well as the required documentation and firmware update at ‘WXforum.net’ under the thread ‘WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi’.

I am sure Wojciech (and other users) will be able to answer your questions. :wink:

I’ve been testing the WiFi logger myself. For the most part, it does work. But I’ve run into a unique situation that we’re working on. I have channel 1 for my ISS, but I have an option anemometer transmitter for a remote wind vane on channel 8.

Since installing the logger, I’m losing connection to the wind. For testing, I’ve removed the logger and will check it after work to see what the console reception rate is. Then I’ll put the logger back in and try it.

My point is, if you are running everything on the standard ISS channel 1, I think this product will work fairly well for you. USB is always a sure bet though. Especially if you’re unsure of how to do networking of the WiFi logger. It will need a static IP on your network to work properly. If you’re unsure what that is USB may be the better way to go.

I would suggest you check out Belfroy USB logger. Cheaper than the Davis model and should work just as well.

http://belfryboyweatherbits.blogspot.com/p/the-belfryboy-clone-usb-logger.html

The channel number does not indicate frequency, it is only a code transmitted with the data to indicate the source *. There is nothing magic about channel 1, all channels hop/scan the same set of frequencies, 902 - 928 MHz for the US models.

I suppose it is possible that the wifi logger could desensitize the console receiver and that would have a greater impact on remote units that have lower signal strengths at the console, but that’s pure speculation.

• It also has a small effect on the interval at which the remote unit transmits. Increasing the channel number increases the interval between transmissions. This is to minimize “collisions”, data loss due to multiple remote units transmitting at the same time.

Well, after 24 hours, I checked the stats again without the logger installed. My reception rate on the ISS was still 98%. But the wind one was even worse! Only 58%. So I can report to everyone here, it’s not the logger.

My guess is I’ve been having an issue with the location of the second console, and just didn’t know until I had something actually logging it. Problem is I could move the console to get better reception. But then the console is in a place in the house where I won’t be able to conveniently read it. I like to read the temp/wind on my way out the door.

So I’m just going to hang onto the logger for now. I’ll just have to flip my current setup over still using the existing serial logger.

If your console is, for the time being, in a location that cannot be easily accessed or in an area where the console cannot be easily viewed, AND, in an area where the reception from both the ISS and the ‘anemometer/sensor transmitter’ is good, could you not replace the console with a Davis Instruments ‘Wireless Weather Envoy’ and place the console in an area where said console can be easily viewed! :wink:

I have been using two such ‘Wireless Weather Envoy’ for years - they are in different areas of the house where viewing the data is not important/required (as they provide their data directly to the computers) but where the reception is optimum.

Depends on the locations but maybe he could use the re-transmit facility on the console with good reception to relay the data to the second console?

But then, (if not already purchased) buying an additional ‘Wireless Vantage Pro2 Console Receiver’ would cost more than buying a [‘Wireless Weather Envoy’](http://‘Wireless Weather Envoy’) … that is if an additional display screen is not required… :wink:

He already has the 2nd console :wink:

I guess I missed the part about the second console… :oops:

But, then, an additional ‘Wireless Weather Envoy’ properly located nearer to the ISS and the ‘anemometer/sensor transmitter’ could be use to re-transmit the data to be displayed on the two consoles… :lol:

True. I must say I have previously had an envoy but currently have two consoles and for me the (at the time not so great) incremental cost was well worth it for the convenience of having the buttons and display for setup and troubleshooting.

Yep, like Niko said, I wanted the full buttons for my second console. I could have gone Envoy, but decided not to. It comes in handy at times. Like now. When I wanted to try out the WiFi logger. I can see everything right from my console and compare it with the other.

I setup my main console with the serial logger to re-transmit on channel 2. Second console to only receive on 2 now. Only hitting 96% reception, but that’ll do. I’ll give it a week and make sure it’s stable. But after that, I’m going to flip WD to my serial logger and keep Cumulus running on the WiFi logger, mostly because I can. But then I can keep my Cumulus report setup the way I have it. And because I can. :slight_smile:

After that, next project will be to import my Cumulus data into WD. Then dig up my old VWS data and import what I can there too. Because I can. :slight_smile: