Now I'm in trouble :(

I’ve three weather stations.

Yesterday, we had some real weather for 3-4 h with downpour.

1. Davis: OK except that wind speed and direction have gummed up with dust. Every effort to cure it has not worked.

2. Aercus: has not survived the storm yesterday. Only external data recorded are solar and UV. Replaced batteries and checked connections to no avail. No temp/hum/wind/rain. Signal showing battery condition on console is OK. Have disconnected Wind and Rain connectors from the transmitter, hoping to see whether rain has penetrated and can be dried out. Amazed that solar/UV is still being received.

3. WeatherFlow: OK for temp, humidity etc. Rain is hopeless: we had ~30.9 mm yesterday, WF recorded 14.7 mm!!! Seemingly no use for heavy rain. Wind speed seems about OK except it flat-lined overnight at ~2.5 m/s in dead calm on WD. On Android, it recorded similar, but not quite flatlining at between 1.5 and 2 m/s. The top surface had water over it all night. Now, it seems OK after drying off.

I’m not a happy bunny as nothing gives me the full picture :frowning: :frowning:

The sensor recording the quantity of rain provided by SKY unit is still in ‘beta’ testing on all WeatherFlow weather stations - no firmware update for the SKY unit is scheduled for the upcoming weeks.

It appears that the wind sensors are not completely ‘immune’ from heavy rainfall - thus, when one (or many) of the wind sensors get wet, their detection of the wind becomes less accurate.

The current major project for the WeatherFlow weather stations is the ‘Continuous Learning (CL) Auto-Calibration System’ for the pressure where the system performs a quality control inspection on the raw station pressure sensor data from the AIR unit, and applies calibration corrections if needed. Should you be interested, you can read more on the ‘WeatherFlow Community(forums)’.

If you have not already done so, may I suggest that you subscribe to the WeatherFlow Community(forums) where you can ask (almost) any question for which you might need an answer - there are a lot of great people in the Community ready with answers - plus the employees of WeatherFlow are there with assistance. :wink:

Yes, I know they are working on it, but my rain generally reports 8 - 10 times the actual amount.
I’m also having problems with the SKY and AIR constantly disconnecting from the HUB. Status shows HUB “online” and SKY and AIR “offline”. If I do nothing they will come back online by “electronic magic” I guess.
They had already replaced my HUB which fixed things for a while. Lightning detector has never worked on my opinion. I haven’t had any thunderstorms to check it lately.
I’ve tried all their remedies for these problems to no avail.
Wasted way too many hours on this project.

Cheers

MikeyM

It works fine on my Android device, able to see the evolution of a storm from distant to close and back again to distant. However, I think it is not very useful in practice because you can’t see the direction of the strikes. IMHO, it is an amusing tech-toy, but only on Android.

WeatherFlow pushed a new firmware update to me last night and at the moment it looks like it’s solved most of my problems. I have to say that their support is really good. I’ll have to wait and see if the lightning sensor is working or not.

Cheers

:smiley:

MikeyM

Please remember that the complete WeatherFlow weather station is selling for only $299 USD and, unfortunately, it does not provide lightning direction. :roll:

So, unless you are willing to pay in excess of $1000 USD for the Boltek Corporation LD-250 Lightning Detector which will provide you with live-action lightning display on your computer screen, showing storm activity up to 300 miles in all directions from your location so you can track position, speed, and direction… And then, you probably also need to purchase the NexStorm Advanced Lightning Display and Analysis Software at an additional $155 USD. :wink:

Referring back to my original post, I have now made some decisions as to how I’m going to proceed.

1.Davis: I looked at the possibility of replacing it with a new system, but the cost of over

Okay, I have now received the Oregon. The various bits and pieces look almost identical to the equivalent Davis hardware and seem equally robust. Setting it up is a real pig. The first thing is to pair the hardware. This took me hours because the instructions supplied just did not work, no matter how I tried. A search on the Internet produced alternative instructions from the Oregon website. A couple of hours fiddling with that and finally I got the hardware paired to the firmware. After that, I was able to get things working correctly, although the adjustments are fiddly on a touchscreen.

For the software, I ignored the Oregon suggestion and went straight into Weather Display and I now have it working on a computer. I still have a couple of tweaks to do on the setup, but it’s looking great, even though I haven’t got the anemometer at the top of the mast yet.

Would I recommend the Oregon WMR 300? For the hardware, yes, it is good value for money. For the firmware and inbuilt software, definitely not; it is a pig. Overall, once the setup is finished, it appears to be excellent value for money. However, one warning: the system is obsolescent and will be off the market within a matter of months. It is to be replaced by the WMR 500 but this is just vapour ware for the moment.