Dripping sound alert when no rain

I think I might have fixed it
use this update of the cronweatherflow.exe program
i.e exit the current running first before extracting this update to where you have WD installed
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/cronweatherflow.zip

Hi

It’s early Sunday morning now here in UK so I’ve just updated the cronweatherflow program and restarted WD.

Rain is showing 0mm on WD now (it isn’t raining at the moment and I don’t think it did overnight), however I’m still getting the dripping alert every minute or so. This is was what it was like yesterday morning and at some point yesterday WD started reporting each of those alerts as actual rain.

I’ve attached a screenshot of the cronweatherflow program as suggested, the data is continually scrolling by so I hope it shows what you need.

thanks again for your help

Richie

would be good to see a screen shot of WD running too :wink:

Here’s my WD screen…

have you seen a repeat of the extreme rain reading again?
this update will ignore big rain jumps
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/weatherdisplaytest.zip

re the sound every minute, that could be a windows error message (that you have changed to be a drip sound)
is there any error in WD under view, program event log, each minute?

No it hasn’t reported any rain today.

The program event log screen is completely empty. I’ve checked my Windows sound settings and there’s nothing there that’s using the drip sound. I’ve even switched off the option in WD (in Control Panel-Other settings-Rain-play wav file when raining), but I still get the drip sound!

I’m currently muting my windows speaker setting but i do quite like the sound as an alert. I’ll try and switch back to my Davis station and see if it still happens then.

So I’ve switched WD back to my Davis station and the Dripping Rain Alert has stopped. Looks like it’s something to do with Weatherflow being the selected station.

I was not getting the sound here in testing with your settings (and I have not seen that happen here or have had other reports of that happen)
try deleting all the .wav files in your WD folder as a test

Deleting (or moving) the wav files stops the alert, but immediately starts again when I move them back. I’ve just timed then and they seem to be every 60 seconds

does it occur then right on the minute change?
try just deleting the .wav files associated with rain (i.e the name)
to see if you can narrow it down to which of the .wav files you have is the problem

is the rain total in WD behaving itself now though?

Still trying to narrow this down.

I’ve had WD reporting from my Davis station this week. But I’ve just tried to switch to Weatherflow by going to Control Panel, Station Type, Weatherflow, and checking “Enabled” and entered my station number. It almost immediately recorded rain and played the rainrecorded.wav sound. If I restart WD, it stops recording rain amounts but continues to play the sound. It’s not exactly on the minute but approx every 60 seconds.

If I rename the rainrecorded.wav file, no sound is played

so the rainrecorded.wav file is played even though the rain total in WD is not increasing?

That’s right, the rain alert is playing despite no rain being recorded or actually falling.

I’ve uploaded a video of what I’m doing here https://youtu.be/K5YF2zohfxs it might make it easier to understand what I’m doing and you can hear the rain alerts almost as soon as I select the Weatherflow station. You can also hear how regular they are sounding an see that the rain amount is not changing

if you could email me your settings files, along with that rainrecorded.wav file, I will see if I can duplicate the problem here

Hi

Settings files have been emailed to [email protected] as requested

thanks for your help

Richie

I have tested with your settings files
but I do not get the .wav file being played every minute
with the latest version of WD

one thing I do see in your settings that you can try unsettings in see attached

one thing also, make sure there is no other instance of WD running

I’m still having no no luck with this. I’ve tried unchecking the “Play wav file when rain is recorded” option. But it still plays every sixty seconds or so - it’s not exactly 60 seconds, the intervals vary but it’s around that. I actually like the sound playing when it does actually rain so I don’t really want to disable that option.

For different reasons I’ve now moved WD to a different PC using the method in the FAQs, which involved copying over the existing config files and installing the latest version of WD. It hasn’t made a difference. When WD points to my Davis station it’s fine, when it points to my Weatherflow station I get the constant rain alerts.

Richie

I have not had any other reports of this problem and have not been able to duplicate it

but I will try again to duplicate
if you could .zip and email me your settings files and the .wav rain file

thinking about it
I think I know what is happening

the time stamp for the rain will be changing, triggering to add more rain to WD, but that rain to add is 0 when its not rainning
so the rain total does not go up…but the .wav file is played
I just need to make sure the .wav file is only played if the rain total to add is above 0

I will change that, and let you know
stand by

new .zip update ready to download from the download page
should fix this problem #-o