WS 2310 Anemometer

Has anyone had a problem with their Anemometer freezing up on the WS 2310. And has anyone found a solution ?

By “freezing up” do you mean literally freezing in cold weather?

Sorry to ask but just wanted to check you didn’t mean something else :).

Yes, freezing as in water…just had a strong front move thru when from rain to snow and the temp dropped rapidly…If you are familiar with WS 2310 the anemometer design isn’t the best design. I have had to bring it down several times to lube the wheel for the anemometer. So a suggestions with ether problem would be great. Has anyone ever modified the wind vane or anemometer on WS 2310 ?

My problem with it has been little spiders making their web in it. It brings it to a halt. At least it has not been a problem in the winter.
It is a poor design.

Yep have the spider too…sitting here devising a way to “fix” this problem with out bring it down again…Problem being its 20 feet in the air above the roof…have you ever had to lube the wind speed sensor ? Maybe a long pole with a hair dryer :lol:

I have only had it since September, so I guess I can look forward to that in the future…

Yes I have had that problem. The first winter I had my ws2310. I had a similar situation where it rained and then dropped below freezing causing the Anemometer to freez. What I did was to go to the hardware store and purchase some aluminum duct tape. I cut a small piece of the sticky foil about 1.5" wide and the circumference of the wind vane, with a small 1/4" piece taped to the bottom so it wont stick on the lower half of the vane.I wrapped it around the windvane on the moveable half with the sticky side. The overlap covers the area where moisture always collects and freezes between the moveable wind vane and the fixed base , keeping it from rotating. It has been up for almost 3yrs now with not freezing ( temps here drop to zero and below) :lol:. Make sure the tape overlaps the gap.

what a great idea!
it really should be designed with that skirt in place in the first place…maybe the newer 3600 has that?

I just got the WS2310 for Xmas and my anemometer has stopped reporting data.

you need to replaces the cable between the temp/hum sensor and the anenometer with shielded twisted pair, to stop that from happening
its because the manufacturer has used cheap flat telephone cable
everyone has had to do this (only happens once connected to a PC)
(make the join in the cable inside the mounthing shaft)
also do the same for the rain gauge

Great! Another chance for me to say that the Lacrosse stuff is junk. I wish I had more money for something else. Anyway, back to the subject at hand. When I got my first unit it would not show any wind speed either. It did, however, show wind direction. It turned out to be a bad unit, and I had to have it replaced.

The second problem, the spikes, is due to what Brian stated, cheap cabling. The company has even admitted it on a fourm that they post to, and even point you to someone elses website that shows how to fix the problem. Why they don’t is beyond me. Instead of rewiring it, I took the cable that runs from the anemometer to the temp/humidity sensor, taped it to the end of my drill, and twisted the heck out of it. I plugged it back in, now very twisted, and have not had a problem since.

The other option is to use WDs option to eliminate spikes of windspeed in one of the config menus, this will take a good number of them out.

Good luck…

Hi Curbe,
Have you tried powering it down. Remove AC, remove batteries from console and remote, let sit for 2 minutes. Put batteries in console and apply AC. Reinstall batteries in remote. Wait about 2 minute , then press the PLUS (+) button for 2 second until it beeps to sync both units. #-o
Gus

Well honestly guys … I tried resetting the unit per tech support and it failed. They told me to return it to where I bought it and either exchange it or get a refund as it was a faulty unit … I chose the refund and am now looking for a different unit. Actually, I’m looking at the Davis Vantage Pro2. So the research continues for a decent weather station. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the replies.

I think the Davis products are a good choice. I’m using a Weather Monitor II but considering an upgrade to the VP2Plus.

you get what you pay for.
with the davis stations it costs more , but you get a great weather station.

Ugggh. So I just boxed up my WS2010 that I got for Christmas. I was planning to return it for a WS2030 and just ran across these posts. I had noticed the different design for the anemometer on the 2030, but I had not given it much thought. Am I making a mistake? I want it wired to my computer, and I did not like the idea of the longer period between updates with the 2010. Now I’m not so sure.

I’d appreciate any advice. The clock is ticking on my exchange.

you could put the temperature guage into a better instrument shelter…a stevenson screen it best…i.e double louvre…