Weather Underground rainfall data

I have an issue with rainfall data on Weather Underground. My WD starts a new day at 9am, which I recall being the standard for Australia, but WU appears to run midnight to midnight. It hasn’t rained here much recently, but this morning it was raining at 9am yet WU reported only 2mm “Accum. Rainfall” for today when I checked it just after 9am, and none at all for yesterday.

On investigation it seems that WU shows the correct rainfall on its graphs, but not on the totals. It looks like WU is storing daily totals based on the accumulated total at midnight, but WD is resetting the accumulated total at 9am, so the WU graphs at 8.59am showed 9mm of accum. rain, but that dropped to 0mm at 9.00am. This would suggest that WU is directly using WD’s accumulated rainfall figures. The result is that WU reports no rain yesterday (because the rain started after its midnight “end of day”) but also shows minimal rain for today because WD’s running daily total reset to 0mm at 9am. In a nutshell, any rain that falls between midnight and whenever WD starts a new day is not reflected in WU’s totals.

I have used WD and WU in the past and I don’t recall seeing (or at least “noticing”) this issue, so I’m wondering if there’s a setting somewhere that I have missed or if something has changed?

nothing has changed so I think its just something that you have noticed
use this update:
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/weatherdisplaytest.zip

which sends total since midnight even if 9am reset used

Thanks Brian, I have replaced my exe with the version you posted. I’ll give it a day or two to get in to “clear data” and then see how it goes with some artificial rain!

Hi,

I replaced my exe with the version above, as I said. Yesterday it was raining through the midnight to 9am period so I was able to look at the results. Unfortunately WU still reset to 0mm at 9am. Even more strangely was that the light rain continued through yesterday and early this morning, and on WU the rain seems NOT to have reset at midnight yesterday, but the precip accum value continued in to this morning.

There were also a couple of very odd numbers thrown in, suddenly at 10.00pm (4/10) the accum figure jumped first to to 7.6mm for a single reading, then at 10.40pm to 7.8mm for a couple of consecutive readings before in both cases going back to 3mm where it had been previously.

After midnight the accum total continued at 3mm, except for a couple of 0mm’s, until around 7am this morning, when the numbers started alternating between 0.2mm and 3.2mm (3.2mm being probably the actual total given the carry-over from the previous day), until just after 9am when the numbers changed to fluctuating between 0.2mm and 0mm.

I’m not sure if simply replacing the exe file was enough (have I got stuck between two versions?), or whether there’s something else going on, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

do you happen to also have set to use WU rapid fire?
if so then that will be the problem

Yes, I did have the rapidfire option set. I’ now removed it, so I’ll see how it goes!

Thanks again.

We had some minimal rainfall between midnight and 9am this morning, and that seems to have carried through 9am correctly on WU so it looks like it’s all working! Thanks!

Will this change be included in ongoing releases of WD (and also perhaps extended to WU Rapidfire)?

Thanks again.