Wind/Temp Freeze-up following high wind reading

Hi everyone,

I am having an issue with my setup. The temp and windspeed/gust readings seem to “freeze up” following a higher wind reading. We have been having relatively high winds around here lately (Tornado went through Ottawa near here the other day). Anyways, I have been noticing it happening.

It seems to always occur after a current windspeed of over 50 KPH or 30 MPH (have tried switching to both). Once the wind reads above this, both the wind reading and temp reading freeze on my WD display, as well as in what they report to WU and PWS. Other readings (including wind direction) continue to be updated as normal. I have attached a couple of pics to show what I mean.

Other information that might be relevant: I have offsets set for the wind as I am in heavy trees with a ridge behind the weather station; I have a max/ignore number of 105 kts in the bad data threshold thing; I have a ‘custom screen’ set up as my main screen that is on all day in the living room on my laptop as my weather display; using an older laptop w. windows 7 but it seems to run WD fine and not showing performance issues. It seems to be a WD thing.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Mike

Any idea what could be going on or how I could fix this?

What station are you running? And what made the readings start working again?

Acurite 5-in-1

Disconnected the smart-hub and switched to WD about a month ago. Feeding directly from my acurite display into the laptop to VIS reader. Signal is good.

I exit and restart WD and the readings start up again as normal.

Hi,

I am still having this problem - if anyone could help or give me suggestions on what I might try, I would really appreciate it.

Every time I get a wind gust >50 kph - the wind readings freeze.

Thanks
M

I will check the code, it sounds like WD is rejecting the data because of the high windspeed maybe
and the reset/time out is not working

Thanks a lot. Not sure if it makes any difference - but I am running around 200% speed increase + 20% directional increase from 270 - 70 degrees due to tree obstruction.

question:
what do you have set as the max speed under control panel, offsets → limits

also when the problem occurs again, see what the raw windspeed number is showing under view, debug info

Hi Brian.

I have the max speed set to 75 kts - which should be well-above the thresholds we are talking about.

The magic number for freeze-up seems to be anything over 50 kph. I could not get the wind dials to show more than a 50 scale in the custom screens - so I switched to MPH for a while (thinking that by overloading the scale on the dial I was freezing it up) - however this didn’t work either. It would still freeze-up, but now at 31 MPH.

Happened again last night with a gust of 60 KPH after I had gone to bed. I did not see your response until now - so i missed getting the debug info (I restarted WD to get it working again). I’ve attached some pictures of last night’s freeze up - as well as an image of my main screen which is on an old TV in my living room and which I think is beautiful (showing the wind dial at 50 kph). However, regardless of the screen I am showing (stock main screen, altered main screen or custom screens) it always freezes at 50.

Thanks for helping! Mike

i see by the (WU) graph that it will go above 50 ? (after a restart)
I might need to get you a test version with more debug info
do you have WD set to use the data via vis (but not the csv option)?

Hi,

I am still having this problem with the windspeed freezing on WD. Been going on for months.

Acurite 5-in-1 - direct USB connection from the display.

Every time the gust speed goes over 50 kph or 30 mph (it doesnt seem to matter which) - the entire wind freezes up. Nothing I do seems to fix this. For a time, I just did the math and allowed the station to ‘display’ mph but labelled my readings as kph - however - we had a gust yesterday that actually did go over 50 kph and it froze again. Very frustrating because I can’t keep track of my high wind records etc.

Anything that can be done to help would be very much appreciated.

tHANKS