WD has green light light flashing but no data received

Hi
after a few years of stability with WD working it just stopped updating a few days ago. Having played around a bit (and after reviewing previous posts of the forum) there is no improvement.

History for this issue:

WD stopped working - first noticed wince the ftp uploads were not working to my website.

Going to WD (10.37S build 2) the station seting seemed to be unusual. Reset to Davis VP2, tried a few of the settings (baud, FW version, rain guage type etc but the best I get to is that the Green Data light is flashing but data quality is red and the data received index is not incrementaing as normal.

I then tried:
working with weatherlink current data and history is all working ok, The com port is 3, it’s in serial mode and baud rate is 14400

Going back to WD I checked the station setup and have covered the following:

making sure the comport is the same as weatherlink (Com3, 14400)

on the station setup using
0.2mm rainguage
Solar sensor
RevB FW
VP2 with FW update (beleived to be the case , but cheked both settings anyway)

checking that a baro offset has been applied (from another thread) - no difference. (5mb applied)

Then I updated to latest weatherdisplay to 10.37b81.

At this point WD looked a bit different to the previous version in that the WD main page was more completely populated, although some of the data was a wrong (no current temperature, max gust last hour had a time more than an hour ago, wind reading zero kts/north etc etc) . However the bahaviour is exactly the same - green blinking data received light , zero data count and red data quality light.

earlier I set raw data logging (on 10.37b2 and 10.37b81) and the file is empty

If I go to debug info from the control panel then there are hundreds of “asking for loop data now” messages

Any clues?

Thanks
Russ

Try save and exit…find the Wd program right click run as administrator.

Hope for the best

you can set WD to show raw data
setup, advanced/misc
tick
log raw data
then let me know what shows under view, debug info

Hi
It’s now running as administrator and as far as I can tell this make now difference.

I have been running the raw data logging to file rawultimeterdata.txt for about 12 hours (old version, new version, new version as administrator) and the file is still zero bytes in size.

One thing did change this afternoon - the graph on the WD page started scrolling from about 1700, and I now have the same repeated and wrong data on the graph for the last 6 hours. Previosuly the graph wasn’t scrolling at all.

One other odd thing - when I go back into Control panel → station type & settings quite frequently the “not a RevB data logger” box is ticked even if I uncheck it and think I;ve saved it, and occasionally the baud rate changes although less sure of this.

Thanks for your help.

Russ

Hi WD
an update after looking at the debug file, (latest attached)

there are lots the the “asking for loop data now” but what I hadn;t noticed before is the section:

CRC failed 23:36:12
raw baro 522.8
raw baro after offset 527.8 23:36:12
baro failed 527.8 23:36:12

Clearly this is not good.

So as a quick test I put a 500mb baro offset in and a step forward happened - the green data quality light is now on. Oddly though the baro reading on the VP2 console is an acceptable 1031mb

What does the CRC relate to - possible battery failing in the rain/solar/temp guage or is this the VP2 to PC link CRC?
I’ll check the batteryin the morning anyway.

cheers

Russ

debug1.txt (8.14 KB)

Hi
although the green data quality light is on - the readings are wrong and the data count isn’t incrementing

Cheers

Russ

the data has not been accepted because of the wrong barometer reading (raw value)
what shows in the debug info after applying the offset?

Hi
so far no further CRC or baro failed errors. The data quality light remains green but the data count remains zero, the graph is scrolling with the old values (with the exception of the gust speed which was downloaded from the console !?).

So looks like a step forward but not yet resolved.

Thanks
Russ

debug2.txt (36.9 KB)

Hi
so if the baro received is 5xx mb and the console baro reading is 1032 mb, could this be a serial baud/protocol error of some kind? ie serial gibberish?

what’s the best way to make sure the settings are correct?

Thanks
Russ

Hi
just found a oddity - the date on the console was wrong. So I exited WD, reset the time on the console using weatherlink and restarted WD as admin. The upshot is that on restart the WD settings were wrong on “not Rev B data logger” & baud rate again, and even once fixed the data quality light has now gone back the red again.

I’ll check our batteries & power in the morning.

cheers

Russ

if you could .zip and email me your settings files, I will check/test here

Hi
which files would you like. wdisplay.ini & registry backup?
Russ

you should not put settings files on a public forum
I did say to email them to me

untick
not a revb data logger
then also untick rev b data logger
then retick that setting

that should fix it

Brian
many thanks - this didn;t work though. I now have the setup working although I’m not sure how. Here’s what I did:

1/ follow your guidance - no change

2/ replace battery in outside unit - no change

3/ go back to station settings, and baud rate had been changed. So set back to 14400. At this point I got a data count of 1 - an improvement

4/ after a bit of playing with the baud rate, the 2 revB data logger boxes and the FW box, ending up at 19200 baud, RevB logger and updated FW - the SW started receiving data again.

So the surprise here is that baud rate ended up at 19200, even though the device manager & weatherlink both say it’s 14400! In any case I had previosuly tried both 14400 and 19200 many times before contacting you and I don;t know what the difference was this time.

So hopefully all resolved now - I’ll see how it runs the next couple of days.

Many thanks

Russ

19200 is the default
the baud rate you can find on the console it self (in setup mode)

Hi
still all working OK so many thanks anyway.
Russ