Does Malwarebytes (anti virus) software have it in for WeatherDisplay.exe?

A few weeks ago my old old (did I say old) HP running XP (I said it was old!) died.

I brought a Win 7 64 bit Pro machine on and did the updates to the operating system, updated the USB to COM port software, and downloaded the most recent WD and thanks to Brian’s quick turn around with registration keys, was back on line downloading data, generating charts, and updating my web server page.

After Malwarebytes ran automatically two Sundays ago, I came to the computer in the morning only to see that WD had shut down, and GraphWeather had nothing to plot. And on the desktop, the short cut icon to the WD install was gone. Well, what the heck. No notification that Malwarebytes had found anything, so I went to the wxdisplay folder to find the WeatherDisplay.exe, create a new shortcut to it and be happy again. But WeatherDisplay.exe was not in the wxdisplay folder, nor had it seemed to have been moved anywhere, it was just gone. Well, a re-unzip of the update WD file did the trick, WeatherDisplay.exe was back and a desktop short cut quickly made and worked. Until last night, when once again Malwarebytes ran on the machine, my monitor had no friendly graph on it, GraphWeather showed blank data and looking for the WeatherDisplay.exe in the wxdisplay folder, it once again was AWOL. Again, reunzipped, etc and back running.

What has me thinking (as I delete Malwarebytes from my computer and reboot) what does Malwarebytes do and do it without signalling having found any malware or spyware or whatever? I also have the Microsoft Essentials which seems not to have any problems, and I run SuperAntiSpyware and it doesn’t remove programs, but sure wipes out my logins to slite I frequent and have to remember passwords to get back in (these aren’t real concerening sites, and if I didn’t need a password, I’d not use one.

Anyone know about Malwarebytes being fixated on removing the WeatherDisplay.exe program?

I’ve never see any other links get broken from the desktop to the program, and never seen programs removed like this without being flagged or me given a choice to ignore the warning that something might be malware.

I use NOD32 antivirus but run Malwarebytes from time to time as a double-check if I think something is “up”. I’ve never seen it have a problem with WD, and if it does have a problem with anything it puts it in quarantine and I have the option to restore or delete it from there. You can also exclude stuff from being scanned but I’ve never done that. I just ran it on this Win7 Pro laptop, with WD running, and it reported “no threats detected” so I’m surprised by what you are reporting :dontknow:

niko, You are as suprised as I am.

I thought MW was about as good and thorough as they get. I’ve run various versions on and off, including their root kit finder, which was one of the few out there, and never had a problem. Maybe there is something else on the machine that is goofy, but there was no warning of anything found, nor any threats removed.

I’m wondering if I wait for a bit and retry when the next release comes along if it will do the same thing. As I mentioned absolutely nothing else seemed awry or touched.

Maybe gremlins, but I try to be more scientific than that.

I had to reinstall WD last night and apparently Windows Defender has been updated as I never had this problem before… Defender screen something has saved you by stopping this app from running. Did everything I could think of to kill the damn thing could not even find it to uninstall it. It is a red screen and down in the bottom left corner I finally saw “more information” Clicked on that and then got an option to let it install. Even running WD install as administrator it popped up and stopped it.

I only saw this happen two times, and always after MWB had finished. I’ve not gotten an alert from Windows defender, which you did during an install, and mine was after WD was up and running for a week.

But new crap comes along all the time. Lately my Samsung G8 over a year old has taken to starting up, playing video or audio all while on the charger. I’ve not installed any new apps, I have tried uninstalling all the ones I really don’t use, some are paid for some are freebies. But it is very annoying, and I worry about the bandwidth used to download the video and audio that it plays.

I must be haunted.

I have the paid up version of Malwarebytes. A year or so back I excluded the whole wdisplay folder from detection as it flagged something up - sorry I can’t remember what it was now. For those who run the WXSIM forecast package I also had to exclude the wxsimate.exe file in WXSIM for the same reason.

Yeah - I have been out of service for several days as I did not notice that malwarebytes had killed off WD :letitallout:

Then I restored WD from Quaranteen this morning, only to find that it had been killed off AGAIN this evening [-X

I’m done with Malwarebytes :violent1:

I may be way off the makr here but it does seem logical, It could be because WD has within itself other exe programs and same goes for wxsim, it could be why these av programs are picking it up, i have always added wxsim and wd folders to the allow lists.

I have the free Malwarebytes you have to exclude the WD folder.