WeatherFlow and Wind Chart

Not sure if there is a solution to this or not and whether it is a concern to anyone. Weatherflow units snap the wind direction to North, when winds are calm. If you have long periods of calm, it actually shows as wind coming from the North. My charts are showing 50% coming from the north, in actuality, it never came from the North at all. Again, not sure if this is a concern or not. Analog units stay at the last point until the wind picks up again and then changes direction.

I had not noticed that with my one
but they are so sensitive I have not seen it at calm, always has a small amount of wind
but I will look more closely next time for that behaviour

Here is an example

My WeatherFlow has the same behavior. Here’s a comparison between the Davis VP2 and WeatherFlow. Mounted on the same pole, same time period selected, etc. WeatherFlow just reports 0 degrees when the wind speed is calm.

I guess I could try and improve that in the software side
i.e use the last direction from when there was windspeed

That seems like a good solution when you have time :-). I haven’t mounted my Sky in its final position yet but I’ve had a lot of North readings when calm(ish) too stuck on a short pole in the garden. I’m sure it will be better once I get it up higher on a chimney mounted pole.
Thanks

I can do this, will need a tester (as I never have calm enough for this to occur)

surprised no one has volunteered to be a tester
but
if you want to test, use this update (unzip to where you have WD installed, when WD is not running)
http;//www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/weatherdisplaytest.zip

I would think it should behave like a real world wind vane…that does not flip to north when there is no wind

Sorry, I missed the testing request. I will check it out.

I do not have much wind, but what little I have, it stays at the last wind direction until a wind update comes in from another direction. Never snaps to North in calm conditions. Nice update, thanks

it was an easy change in the end
WD now does not use any wind direction from the station unless the windspeed is above 0 (so essentially WD will use the last direction from when there was wind).
Last evening we actually did have dead calm here for a few minutes on sunset and I did see my weatherflow station report N wind when no wind

I’ll test it too - sorry for slow response was busy moving my Sky from temporary location to pole on Chimney - much better. Going to be a bit blowy for next few days here in Scotland so might not see much difference :D. Thanks Brian for super quick response as always!

Yes! It works perfectly, Brian. I can also confirm the custom tags %dirlabel% %dirdeg% also read the last position. Thank you!

It is good but do not forget to add this update to the zip update homepage.