Ubuntu (18.04) users: what do you use for WD

I have a dedicated ubuntu 18.04 LTS machine for WD and a cctv program.

The machine has a 2Gb Asus Radeon graphics card, 8Gb ram and a i5cpu at 3.6Mhz, and is connected by usb to a Davis Vantage View weather station

I have been trying to get WD for linux working for a few wee4ks now, without success. I can get WD to load up and run for anything upto about 3 hours or so then it locks up. There have been times when WD only runs for less than 1 hour before locking up.
When I say locking up, it also locks up the Ubuntu machine and I have to do a hard reset.

I was originally using the installed version of the cp210x.ko module and usbserial.ko, but was told about a modified driver cp210x.ko for linux. I then downloaded the said driver from Silabs and followed instructions on how to load /install them.

Even using the modified driver still caused WD to lockup etc.

My question now is : what do users of ubuntu 18.04 use to connect to a davis weather station, and doe WD run happily 24/7.

Thanks

I am running WD version 10.37Linux296. I downloaded and installed the latest release from August 20 of this year. I am running it on Linux 19. The machine is an AMD FX8370 with 32 Gb of memory. I also have a Davis Vantage Vue connected by USB through the data logger. I am using the native USB software in Linux Mint. No special drivers.

For a couple of months this summer, before I got the latest download, WD would freeze and I would have to shut it down. Occasionally, I would have to do a hard reboot, but not all of the time. Since I installed the newer download of WD, it has not been locking up. I’ve had a few little problems with displaying current conditions, but I’m still collecting information as to what is going on. But, no lock ups so far.

BTW, I see that Brian has a newer download for Linux, 2-9-18, up now. I’ll download it and see what it does.

Randy