Language won't change

I have just downloaded the latest version of WD and during the setup, in the language section, I click English. then update (then restard WD), which I do.
On restarting WD, the language is still in some other European language, maybe Dannish??

What else is there to do to get the English language to stick.

Thanks

It doesn’t matter now, as this version from 20th August, also locked up after a few hours.

As it was the latest version, I thought it would do no harm to try it, and apart from the language setting, I had high hope at first of it been stable.

I am using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with the latest updates.

I probably do not have the radio buttons hooked up in code
I can fix that
did you look into seeing if you can update the driver?
others are using WD linux OK without these lock ups?

I ran WD again, but yet again it just locked up and then died on me.

The only message I see is that in a terminal which says ‘killed’

No I didn’t update drivers yet as I doubt there are any for linux, but I look into it

https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

scroll to the end

Thanks, but on reading the release notes it says:

This bundle contains a modified CP210x driver for the 4.10.0 kernel (Ubuntu 17.04). I have ubuntu 18.04

The latest kernel in the ubuntu machine is 4.15.0-33, so unless I have got it wrong, my usbserial driver is younger than the one from silabs

yes, but, its a modified driver, instead of the stock driver, specificly for the davis usb

I know this is not the place to discuss drivers, but as much as I know and tried, I cannot insmod cp210x.ko, as I keep getting an error saying could not insert module cp210x.ko file exists.

that suggests to delete (or rename) the existing file?

Yes I should have said that I did rename the existing file, but didn’t want to make it a long post on the matter.

Out of interest, did you manage to sort out the language problem.

I will do an update today re setting the language

I downloaded the 2nd September version and I’m afraid that the language will not change to English. Part of the menu is in English but other parts are not.
From left to right on the top menu:

Exir Einstellungen Control Panel Action View Panel Register Wetterbeobachtung About Screen Size Quick Graph Selection

In Control Panel , a mix of English and German

Oh, and the main screen is all in German still

you would need to restart after selecting back to english
(same for the windows version)

I did restart WD after I clicked on English, several times in fact.

I am almost sure I manged to get the linux version of cp210x.ko file in stalled or whatever it was supposed to do, I found a ubuntu link on this subject and someone on that forum, said to do this:

sudo modprobe usbserial # load this kernel module

sudo modprobe cp210x # load this kernel module

Which I did without error, and after loding up WD it ran fine for about 2-2.5 hours, then locked up yet again.

If it is ok with you I want post a question in this Lunux forum to ask what other use etc

you could also try changing the language selection in the WDISPLAY.INI manually (when WD is not running)
re the lock ups
you might have to use consolewd instead?

I can’t see a WDISPLAY.INI nor wdisplay.in under the wdisplay folder.

I can’t see a WDISPLY.INI nor wdisplay.ini.

On the language, I thought you were going to do something there or about it.

the WDISPLAY.INI file you will have on your linux hard drive
believe me
you should find it in your ~/Documents/wdisplay/
folder

I did do something about the language, for setting from english to something else

Using the modified driver didn’t make a lot of difference, and it is a pity that there is not log file to detect what is happening behind the scenes.It would be very useful for me to see why it locks up.

lock ups are usually driver related
if you run it from a terminal window then you might see more info