The Secret Life of Landfill: A Rubbish History

The subject above is the title of a BBC 4 programme that was broadcast last night at 2300 (Cyprus time, UTC +3) and lasted for 90 minutes. Despite the late hour, I did not drop off during the programme. In fact, if I were a benign dictator, I would make this programme compulsory viewing for everyone over 15!

The programme covers all aspects of landfilling and the results of what we have done in the past 120 years and, above all, what is being done with modern landfills. Of course, the context of the programme is within the United Kingdom and the model landfill is near Dunbar in East Lothian, about 30 km by road from the city it serves, Edinburgh. The environmental effect of the transport from the city to the landfill is not mentioned. Also barely mentioned is the recovery of energy from waste. This may be the subject of a different programme in the future.

If you have the opportunity of seeing this programme (catch-up?), I would strongly recommend that you watch it. I promise you that you will have your eyes opened wide with the inimitable way that the BBC produces documentaries, neither dumbing them down nor talking over the viewers’ heads. This is a masterpiece of bringing a difficult and technical subject so that it is understandable by everyone!

I am repeating this message on every forum that I subscribe to where it is relevant.