Davis vantage pro 2 USB logger alternative

Hi all,
I run my weather display as a virtualized machine on my QNAP nas device.
I have noticed by using the USB logger attached, it has increased CPU and heat from the NAS.

For this reason, i have been considering moving over to the davis IP logger, but have just come across the “WifiLogger”.

Anyone know anything about this, does it kick out data every 2.5 seconds to weather display OK?
Any issues?

Cheers
Stuart

from what I can tell it works like the normal IP data logger (even better in many ways)
and so yes will work with WD

Has anybody actually used this yet ? Does it also require the datalogger software running as well on the PC ?
Looking to put a new station together, but finding very little choice for linking the Consoles to a PC using a wireless or WiFi link.

it does have built in support to send data to some cloud services and even FTP

Ah ha yes its been proven from the WXForum I see http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34312.msg348491#msg348491
right I shall give this option serious consideration then as my 8 year old WS2812 setup no longer has spares available and both the raingauge and today the wind sensors have failed :frowning: So time for a new more robust setup is called for :wink:

Geoff, I have the ‘WiFiLogger’ installed inside my VantagePro2 console.

The data from the ‘WiFiLogger’ is sent wirelessly to a modem/router - I think the range is about 10 meters (not sure, I have not tested it).

For the Weather Display software, the data from the ‘WiFiLogger’ is read the same way as the data from the Davis Instruments WeatherLinkIP Data Logger is read, by querying its network address (such as, for example, 192.168.1.15) and the port that has been assigned in the settings of the ‘WiFiLogger’ (such as, for example, 22222). The advantage with the ‘WiFiLogger’ is that Weather Display does not have to share its access time - Weather Display can have full access to the ‘WiFiLogger’.

By the way, by itself, the ‘WiFiLogger’ can send (export) data to the ‘WeatherLink’, ‘Weather Underground’, ‘Personal Weather Station’, ‘Met Office WOW’, ‘AWEKAS’, and ‘Citizen Weather Observer Program’ sites.

If you have other questions concerning the ‘WiFiLogger’, just ask … I will try to give you the best answers using the knowledge I have acquired over the past months… :wink:

Thanks RoB, yes pretty sure this is the route I’ll take, just got to work out my mounting process for the ISS etc. my roof climbing days are over so think I’ll organise a mast clean up of old aerials no longer needed and then plenty of room for the ISS setup :slight_smile:
The old wind-vane and anemometer are just visible at the base of the top vertical!