I Can't Upload to Awekas - SOLVED

I upgraded to WD 10.37/296 successfully and being a brave soul, decided to add Awekas to CWOP, WU and PWS. I registered with Awekas, got approved, put my ID and password on the Awekas configuration page in WD, selected Awekas direct, set up the times, turned on the main switch and sat back, satisfied that I was again playing a part in protecting the world.

Nothing happened. WD shows a line at the bottom of the configuration page that indicates that it is uploading. However when I check my Awekas page, it says nothing has been uploaded since December of 1969.
When I type that line into my browser (boy, I wish we could copy and paste from the configuration pages), I get a page which says bad ID/Password (in German, of Course).

Now it gets creepy. When I go to Awekas, I am able to log in with the same “bad” ID/Password. I can go to my station page, I can even go to my change user data page and change my password, save it, and then log in with the new password. But when I put that ID/Password into the Awekas configuration page in WD, nothing goes through and when I type the line at the bottom of the configuration page into the browser with the new password, I get the same bad ID/Password message. I’m stuck. How can I save the world if I can’t get my data up to a fourth service?

Randy

maybe you are using non standard characters in the password?

No. Strictly standard characters. I can log in to Awekas in my browser, but the Weather Display upload using the same ID/Password doesn’t work.

Randy

see if there is a sentawekas text file
and see what shows in that
also see what shows when you run cronaweakas from a terminal program

There is no sentawekas text file on my system.

There is no cronawekas anywhere on my system. There is a cronaw in the wdisplay folder. When I try to run it in terminal, I get:

Syntax error: “(” unexpected

Randy

cronaw is it
what happens when you run
./cronaw

It says:

Awekas data send failed

Randy

which will likely be due to the password/username issue I suspect

I agree. I’m trying to work with Awekas to fix this, but so far no luck.

Randy

I just followed a suggestion on the Awekas forum and put my password through an md5 hash generator. I then copied the resultant hash to the Awekas setup page in Weather Display. Now my data is uploading. It was suggested that this means that the md5 hash encryption that Weather Display uses may have a problem.

Randy

Correction, it uploaded correctly once. Now it is not uploading again.

Randy

ah, there was some code missing in calculating the MD5 password
the next update will fix that

Great! Thank you! I’ll wait for the update and let you know if that solved the problem.

Randy

ready now

I know it’s late there, so I’ll make this brief.

Still not working. The hash for the password in the transmit string at the bottom of the Awekas configuration page is not the same as what I get with the online md5 hash generator (which works to transmit to Awekas with my browser). Look at it tomorrow.

Randy

I think I see what is wrong
will do another update now and let you know

it’s more difficult that I thought to get working
turns out to be a compiler thing (to do with ansistrings)
I will need to find an alternative method
either that I have it where it will use what you enter?
(i.e via an online md5 creator)
(which is what was happening in the previous version)

OK. I’ll wait on whatever you decide.

Randy

I have fixed it (tested)
will upload and let you know

ready