weatherdisplay won't load

After downloading Weather Dsplay for linux, I copied the commands from the readme.txt file, but encountered erros right away.

Wdisplay is installed in my Home directory and when I sudo ./weatherdisplay, it returned: sudo: ./weatherdisplay: command not found. I then went to the wdisplay folder and ran the same command again, and as the wdisplay logo was loading, the orange bar half way down the logo, was not moving, and a message saying loading more moon . I had to force quit the logo and WD, then a message in a terminal:

Gdk-Message: 12:07:33.847: weatherdisplay: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

Can anyone enlighten me what is wrong and how to fix it please.

I am using Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

you need to run the command from the folder where it is installed
hence your first error

the second error sounds like a problem GDK version you have in use (you could try upgrading that)

I used the synaptic package manager to install libgdk3.0-cil-dev and libgdk3.0-cil versions 2.99.3-2.
Now when I load the said program it stops but with a different error message now:
weatherdisplay: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

No GDK message now.
Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

Is this anything to do with graphics.
I have just found that the onboard graphics is only 256mb, so maybe not enough for WD as well.

I have also done ldd weatherdisplay to get a list of lib files it is using, and it returned about 40 something, of which none had gdk in the name or list.

Update, ignore some of the above.

I re read the readme file to check a couple of things, and realised I had missed some things I should have done.
For some reason when I did sudo cp . /usr/lib64 nothing was copied; because I don’t have a /usr/lib64 folder but I do have a /lib64. So I have now copied all the files from the Deploy folder to /lib64.

Then I found I had not created the symlink, but have done so now, and LibUSB -0_1.4 does not exist, but libusb_01.4 does and is already installed

Now when I run ./weatherdisplay it stops at loading more moon, and in my toolbar (in Ubuntu) the WD icon is showing, and when I click on it, there is a blank window for selecting language.
When I force quit the program, it just shows a Killed message

is this a 64 bit or 32 bit linux machine?
(i.e why a lib64 folder?)
re the blank screen to select the language
that sounds like a graphics driver issue

It’s a 64bit machine
My mistake it should be /usr/lib, and not lib64

Yes it could be a graphics driver issue now you mention it. I’ll get a 2GB graphics card in tomorrow and see if that fixes it.

I have intalled WD on a brand new install of Ubuntu x64 on a separate machine and it is not loading either with this error message:
weatherdisplay: Fatal IO error 11 ( Resource temporarily unavailble) on X server :0

It gets as far as loading summary/setting up station type, and with a blank page for language selection.

The machine for the new install has a 1GB graphics card, so that won’t fix the problem

what distro?

Ubuntu 18.04

Perhaps I should ask is what linux and graphics card does WD for linux run ok on

I use Ubuntu here OK
and others have used that OK too
but the problem you have is something to do with the graphics card and drivers for sure

Ok so what graphics card do you use.

This is mine:
lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)

I’m going to pick up an amd chipset card tomorrow, which I already have the drivers for.