Book on weather measurement.

In 2012, Brian announced the book at http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/432350

I haven’t found any further mention on this forum. I’ve just obtained a copy of the book and I find it fascinating reading, with lots and lots of info. For a techie book, it is easy to read. I strongly recommend it for anyone with any type (make) of weather station.

I remember this guy’s Davis VP2 review where he mounted the ISS a few inches above a dark colored wood fence post :roll:

Thank you for your message. Your attachment is very interesting and I note what you say about the fence. However, this may not be as bad as one thinks because

• in the UK, and as the article indicates, it tends to be very windy for most of the time
  • again, in the UK, the latitude is sufficiently high that solar radiation is never anywhere near what it is at this (or your) latitude
  • it is difficult to judge from the photos, but I suggest that the edge of the horizontal fence is only about 35 or 40 mm, so upward convection would not be very important.

That, having been said, I agree that it is not best practice to put a temperature sensor so close to such a fence.

Apart from that, I find the article well worth the read. However, it is not strictly applicable or comparable with the conditions in this country. The temperature here peaks at anything from 36

I agree, it’s something one could “get away with” in the UK, it just goes to credibility…

Have you considered the Davis 7714? That apparently performs very well, has a relativity large inner chamber, and at around $70 I’m sure it’s a lot less expensive than a Campbell.

Yes, thanks, but I was apprehensive about the Davis 7714, as it does not seem to have double louvres, which I think are essential in this climate. Would it be any better than the present Davis Vantage Pro screen? The MET21 screen does have double louvres, but I haven’t been able to find the internal dimensions from Campbell (

MET21 looks good. I don’t think it’s very big inside though "MET 21: houses larger probes 14-25 mm in diameter
taking up to 220 mm of the probe inside the shield. " I’m sure there’s some space around that 25 mm but it would be difficult to have a large inner chamber with double louvers in that 165 mm outer diameter.

I have seen numbers suggesting that the 7714 does better than the regular VP screen, presumably the larger size plays into that but as you say it is only single louver.

I couldn’t find anything about the MET21 on the Campbell USA site, so I asked and:

"The Met21 is sold by Campbell Scientific Europe but not by Campbell Scientific Inc here in the US, so I don

You’ve persuaded me to order a copy (from an Oxfam charity shop!). Evocative cover picture: wish I had a GBPound for every time I’ve cleared frost from a Campbell-Stokes recorder or a solarimeter. . .

Probably not a problem in Cyprus (or California)?

Strangely, where I am, our minimum measured temperature is -3.2