Ambient weather data

Hi, I am a rank newbie at WD and have been playing over the last 3 days trying to absorb this great program and how it works. I have an Ambient 2902A. What I am noticing is a discrepancy in rain data if I close the program, i.e. I got a new build of windows 10 and it took about an hour to install. When I restarted the program daily rain jumped from the correct .300 inches to .720 inches. I have figured out how to correct yesterdays rain, the month total and YTD total, but, why did this happen in the first place? I am attaching a screen shot of the graph, notice the red rain line at around 17:30 hours, I went out during a thunderstorm and shut off the computer, it jumps when I come back, again at 23:00 when I installed the new windows build.

I get the blue line, being humidity from my nest thermostat not being read, stored or saved while WD is not running.

Thanks for any help on this.

Screenshot (12).png

Hi
are you using build 77?
re the rain problem
try that version

re the humidity from your nest
there is no way to get data from when the program is not running

actually I think I found the problem with the rain data
use build 78 :slight_smile:

Nice, thanks. I am an old beta-tester (done MS windows since 1994), so leave it to me to find a bug. Thanks for your help and i love the program. I am still only a couple days into the trial period, but i will be happy to support your efforts and buy the program. Its obviously the result of a lot of effort and nicely done.

Jim

Ooops, still not quite right, did it again last night after the new build was installed. Doubled the daily total for rain fall. Perhaps you are getting the max hourly rain instead of total rain?

what looks to be happening is that the current total rain is added on to the already stored total rain that WD had
in theory I found where in the code that was happening and it should have been fixed
but what I will do is plug in some dummy rain amounts into the raw data and test and get back to you
(I am guessing because its summer time not many users have come across this problem yet)

If there is a way for me to store the actual data and forward it to you? i’d be happy to. I have watched it read in the downloaded data from ambient when its been off over night and its neat the way its scanning the time stamps looking for when it shutdown. Since we are only looking for the incremental changes, perhaps its only subtracting the base amount on the first new data line, but not storing the new baseline for the second data line? Just a thought, i haven’t coded in many years, but remember well the head scratching moments of ‘why did it do that?’

Lucky me to live in the land of daily thunderstorms. We had more rain in the last 3 days of July than is normal for the whole month and August’s total is already 2x the monthly average.

:smiley:

Jim

I did try and do some testing with some ‘offline data’
by changing the rain values in the history data and live data
but I could not duplicate a problem
but I have added option to use the rain totals from the station
in the ambient weather station type setup

so that should work better in theory
latest .zip update (build 79 )

So, naturally, it has not rained since we had this exchange, its supposed to rain today. But I notice a different anomaly started with the new tick box for “use station rain total.” Every day either at 23:17 or 23:32 the temp is read to have dropped to 32, the humidity to 0 (actually the number disappears altogether), and the dew point goes to 122. Two screen caps attached. Its not in the raw ambient data that way. It also is not being picked up by ‘daily extremes’ and shows no where except the graph. Its not really a big deal to me, but thought i’d let you know its happening. Also, the app is not running, it happening upon read in of the overnight data.

Screenshot (14).png

Screenshot (16).png

ah
its not related to the new rain setting
but is a first time initialisation of the data when using the history data function
I should be able to resolve that
(actually if you could email or PM me your apikey so I can test with your data)

API key is your PM box. Thanks.

Jim

should be fixed
download a new update of WD

Thanks. Its nice to see a developer be so responsive. Great app! I’ll report back in the morning.

Jim

The graphing issue is, indeed repaired, thanks. We finally got some rain and what i notice is that the rain rate and max rain rates are never non-zero. This is something new, as it was working the last time it rained. You can see in the screen cap the ambient web page behind the WD display showing that it is raining. The totals and all increment fine, but the rates are always zero.

You are very attentive to these things and it is appreciated.

Jim

that will occur if you have set to use the station’s rain totals
what I need to do is use the rain rate provided by the station then
I will do that
( I see that hourly rain data is provided)

try a new .zip update
I have made now that the rain rate comes from the hourly rain data in the api data
if you have set to use the station’s rain totals

Great. Thanks!

So, I don’t want you to think I just whine and complain. But I also want to bring to your attention the things I notice. The latest fixes the rain rates, as advertised. But its broken wind speed and direction, which is now always 0. If I revert to the previous then wind speed and direction is correct, good thing its not raining now, lol.

Thanks always.

oh
that is my fault
for programming when you are not feeling well with man flu
should be fixed now, download a new .zip update again
sorry about that

Thanks, feel better. I was going to say nothing worse than flu in summer, but where you are its winter. Feel better either way!