Vp2 tipping bucket

Hello,

We have finally had some rain here in the UK. Got loads overnight, but when I checked my site this morning it showed none. A quick visit up to the roof to check out my VP2 highlighted the problem.

The tipping bucket was horizontal so that neither of the buckets were under the rainguage cone (both were hanging horizontally in the air). I moved the mechanism back and forth a few times and seemed ok. Put the cone back on and poured some water in and it tipped ok. Took the cone off the the tipping bucket was sitting OK.

This is about the third time it has done this over the 5 years I have had the unit.

Do I need to lube the tipping mechanism, or is this something that just happens from time to time?

I checked and there were no spiders webs etc that would get in the way.

Thanks for any help/advice or anyone else had a similiar problem. Is it time for a new rain guage base unit?

Paul

I had that happen once with my Davis Vue…but I had recently mounted the station. I have never had it happen any other time. Is your station mounted and secure so wind does not cause it to sway?

Hi,

It is mounted on a pole on my chimney breast, so definitely not stable and does sway…see picture at www.paulwilman.com/stationdetails.php

We did have some wind yesterday, but probably not much more then 20mph, which doesn’t cause that much sway.

Do you think the wind cause the tipper to move into the horizontal position and then get stuck?

I have ordered a new one from weather spares - Adrian the owner says that the spindle can wear out cause the tipper to stick? It has done it more recently recently.

Paul

Nice website - looks good.

Too many variables to know for sure…as an example…if water was still in the tipper from the last rain event, it wouldn’t take as much wind/sway to allow it to move. No comment on the spindle wearing out…

I think it has to be sticky for the tipper to stay balanced while you took the cone off. I can relatively easily find a balance point for the tipper in my spare ISS, but the slightest breeze or vibration will tip it.

All solved. Did end up buying a new tipper unit, but also now mended old one.

Tipper magnet was somehow too low and rubbing on the reed switch cover. I carefully took off the magnet and rotated it by 180 degrees. There is now enough room between magnet and reed switch to pass freely. Also checked and reed switch clicks still when magnet passes over. Means I now have a spare tipper unit which I am pleased with!

Just thought I would share my story in case it helps others.

Paul