Davis VP2+ rain gauge query

We had ten minutes of heavy rain yesterday but I noticed the console was showing the umbrella icon for 4 hours! Obviously time to clean the rain gauge! The gauge receives debris from a neighbours tree and I am wondering if anybody has had similar problems and how it can be avoided apart from raising the unit much higher. I wondered if I could cover the funnel with perhaps fine nylon mesh (0.5mm mesh) with a dip in the middle.

If possible try and relocate it away from the trees, although this is usually not an easy option. The tree debris will clog up the rain gauge frequently and also mask your readings. A mesh filter wouldn’t be a good idea as rain drops splashing against it will partly be deflected out of the gauge, hence why Davis don’t provide such a solution. Even if you had a mesh solution you would still need to clean it.

My ISS is reasonably (for a domestic location) from buildings and trees and during dry periods when seeds, etc are being blown about this still clogs up the funnel when you get subsequent rain. I try and clean it about once per month.

I’ve used a mesh sink/shower filter in the gauge since my first VP was plagued by pine needles that speared through the davis “filter” and blocked the tipper. You do still have to keep it clean but it will take a lot more crap before there is a chance of actual blocking. I’m not in a high rain area but I know other users in much wetter areas also use this type of filter.

meshfilter.jpg

I was concerned about rain splashing outside of the funnel but your sink filter idea would be low inside of it being held in place by the angle of the cone. I am in a relatively dry area also.

Thanks for your replies.