GFS Forecasts are Crap latey

I have been watching the GFS data closely lately, and it is a known fact that in Southern Hemisphere Winter it is always worse.
Example : Today WxSim forecast Sunny and Fair, though Aus BoM forecast Rain/Hail and the outcome was Rain on off most of the day and same again tonight.
I know that Henkka was to collaborate with Tom ages ago regards the possibility of using the ECMWF which has been proven over and over again to kick the GFS’s But regards Accuracy.
This is also showing up in major issues on the OpenGrads GFS Maps (even with date issues).
Can anyone advise where this is at.

Kind regards,

I would not be interested in paying a monthly fee to receive ECMWF model data and I do not expect Tom to bear the cost of the data.

Statistically, ECMWF does give better forecasts, but, it is no panacea and it does, in many cases, get it wrong. All forecasting models, be it U.S, Euro., Canada, Japan, etc., will at times make a very bad forecast. The problem is too complex for our present application of the laws of physics.

Just my thoughts,
Thanks,
James

There was another model that Henkka had told me about, that covered most of the planet (I think), that I was considering (then got busy with other things). I’d have to look back to see what it was.

Meanwhile, I believe upgrade efforts continue with the GFS, so I hope that helps one day before too long!

I have been playing with creating charts from CMC data (Canada).
It isn’t too bad at modelling Aussie data from my initial tests and it is a global model too.
https://weather.gc.ca/grib/index_e.html

Hi PaulyA,

Thanks for that, I do like your maps very nice, though :
1: I doubt I would have the Server Capacity to generate them.
2: I use OpenGrads (with GFS) data purely as it then aligns with my WxSim forecasts, which use same data.

Kind regards,