Rain to 2 decimal points

Good Evening,

Just a small request if possible, I now have an Acurite 5-in-1 weather station, it reports the rain measurements up to 2 decimal points. Is it possible to have the ability to show it on WD? I know you have it for inches but I use mm

WD does show extra resolution for weather station types that make that available (e.g weatherflow or campbell scientific)
so I can add that ability for other stations too
what though is the accuracy of the rain gauge (mm)?

The acurite station rain bucket tips every .254mm. Hopefully that is the info you’re after. I’ve had a fineoffset before and that tips at .3mm

I’m lucky to get two tipping bucket (commercial expensive bought on eBay for much less than list price) that are a few feet apart to agree to within a hundredth or two. Sometimes they are off by 0.05, and both have been (all weekend once) counted for slow drip tips to get as close to the amount run through as I can achieve.

My feeling is that time and again, there are variations from one spot to another just a few feet away, so why chase after another decimal point when in reality it isn’t that close?

What do you do when a little bit is left from a previous shower, and didn’t tip? There is no reset to clear the gauge of any remaining, so the accuracy to less than one tip is hard to come by. I do have an older tipping bucket with a throat opening of 12 or 14", and the tipper inside is gigantic. I was thinking of putting a smaller tipper in there to see how many more tips I can get, and then scale it down, just for fun. I’m not sure that it will be more ‘accurate’ than the other, but sure generate a lot more tips, which if we are talking tip to tip variation, would minimize that concern.

As the discussion goes on it another forum about humidity and not reaching 100% with our sensors, I feel that the quest for another decimal point is a bit fruitless, my personal opinion. A little time reflecting upon the Chemistry 101 on doing experiments to determine precision vs. accuracy makes me think that a hundredth of an inch is close enough.

Dale

I agree 100% with Dale, that extra dp would be meaningless.