Raspberry PI 3+ Auto startup of consolewd

Hi all
From time to time we have, as you also experience, main power failure just for a short period of time (some minutes) at any hour of the day. This causes my Raspberry PI 3+ to reboot and as of today the consoledwd to stop. This is an unwanted status in a 24/7 operation.

Yes, I know, get yourself an UPS problem solved. This is meant to be a low budget and place saving project and there for a UPS will not be an option here. The Raspberry PI 3+ platform is perfect for this kind of operation in many ways.

What I need to solve is that the wdconsoled must start automatically after the Raspberry PI 3+ boot up and update all the services that are configured for the wdconsoled.

I have been looking around to find a solution this issue. So far, I have not find any solution just partial solutions. I found one that I could use but this configuration does not update the metiotemplate and the wunderground services only the files for the GUI WD PI 1.5. Under a short description how I set it up. Maybe someone can help me to adjust the configuration to make it work.

This is how I set it up

1. In folder /etc/systemd/system i created a text file with name wdautoupdate.service
  2. In the wdautoupdate.service I enter the following information;

[Unit]
Description=WD console autostart
[Service]
ExecStart=/home/pi/Desktop/consolewdfiles/consolewd
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

1. To start the daemon service, I enter this command in console mode;

sudo systemctl start wdautoupdate

Everything looks OK cheeked by the command; sudo systemctl status wdautoupdate

1. The next step is to make the daemon service wdautoupdate to automatically start up during boot up of the PI. To do that I enter this command in console mode;

sudo systemctl enable wdautoupdate

To test I rebooted the PI. The daemon service wdautoupdate was running OK

1. The result of this configuration was;
    1. The consolewd service started and updated the files for GUI WD PI Version 1.5 No problem.
    2. But consolewd did not update metiotemplate and wunderground no data where uploaded.

My question is what can be done to this configuration do to make this work?
It is vital that consolewd are updating the metiotemplate and wunderground as well as the update of the GUI WD PI files (the update of GUI WD PI files works OK).

Is there anyone that out there that can help me?

Best Regards
Dag Engstr

do you mean you have wdpi starting up OK?
that is just a client program
you need consolewd starting up…that is the main program, that gets the data, etc

Hi
consolewd are starting up but it only update the clientraw files it do not update the external services like the metotemplate

it might then be a permissions problem i.e it does not have permission to run a program (i.e the cron programs)

OK
How do I fix the permission issue? I’m all new to Linux. :smiley:
Best Regards
Dag :smiley:

Hello, Dag

Youjust need to configure your config.txt, i give you an example in the attachment…

Marc,

config.txt (4.3 KB)

Here are the permissions

ExecStart=/home/pi/Desktop/consolewdfiles/consolewd

is this the correct path…does this not imply that consolewd is another frolder and not a file?

I think its a Davis station you have?
it might be that you might need to delay the start up of consolewd to allow the usb/serial drivers to have loaded etc?

Problem sorted thanks!

Hi Dunbrokin,
I have the same problem as you following your method. None of the cron services are updated (wunderground, cwop, pws …). How did you solve your problem? Thank you !