cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: Fire season has started in the West  (Read 4928 times)

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • Crystal Ball broken! Please post the URL.
  • Northern California, U.S.A.
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Chrome 67.0.3396.87
Fire season has started in the West
« on: June 24, 2018, 10:34:58 PM »
Red flag fire warning this weekend. Multiple grass fires within a few miles in the last couple of days. Causes include two arson (same kid), one construction equipment sparking on rocks, and one idiot who thought it would be a good idea to mow well toasted grass in 100 F with low RH and > 20 mph winds   :roll:

Currently have 5 separate fires burning along a road west of here, my guess is those are unlikely to be accidental.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 12:49:09 PM by niko »

Offline bitsostring

• Oregon Scientific WMR200
  • Edinburgh, UK
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Mozilla compatible
Re: Fire season has started in the West
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 11:10:32 PM »
Jeez-oh! Hope you'll be OK.

Do you get fires started by people parking cars on grass with hot catalytic converters in the exhausts?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 09:46:34 AM by bitsostring »
It's meant to be fun. . .

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Chrome 67.0.3396.87
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 12:03:03 AM »
That does happen, but I don't recall any recently. Dragging safety chains and carelessly tossed cigarette butts are probably top of the automotive list. The grass everywhere is just so dry it only takes a spark and it's off to the races. My neighbor to the north always mowed his grass scarily (IMHO) short and sure enough one year his mowing started a 10 acre fire. Recreational campers at the lake accidentally started a fire that burned 100 homes and traveled 20 miles to the edge of my property. We get lightning caused fires too, 2008 was a bad lightning fire year, but it's the human caused ones that tend to stick in the memory  :(

Offline Harry

• Union City, CA USA
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 60.0
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 03:46:12 AM »
We had a couple of fires just yesterday not too far from me.  I believe one of them was started by fireworks.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/two-significant-fires-in-east-contra-costa-county-saturday

But, I'm ready for this year's fire season.  I got the latest statewide incidents map, list of California wildfires, and the national fire weather watches and warnings on my fire weather page http://ucweather.org/firewx.php

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Chrome 67.0.3396.87
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 12:50:27 PM »
Nice page  :)

Offline BWX

• OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 67.0.3396.87
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 02:31:37 PM »
Im in the UK and my garden looks like straw, my soil sensors have been at 200 for a few weeks now, be surprised if we dont have any fires soon, more so with this heatwave, wall to wall sunshine for 5 days, so it says, not as bad as you guys over there Niko, be safe!!!

Offline Devil

• Cyprus 33°25'E 34°55'N 300 m up
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 60.0
    • Mosfiloti weather services
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 02:33:21 PM »
We have the same problem on this island. https://cyprus-mail.com/2018/06/22/fire-near-monagrouli/?hilite=%27fire%27

Despite the wettest June for decades, firefighters here have had to deal with nearly 50 wildfires this month, some destroying large areas of forest and brush. About half of them are arson-related.
Devil

Offline jgillett

• John - W7JKG
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • OS/Browser:
  • Mac OS X 10.13
  • Firefox 60.0
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 04:00:08 PM »
I have 2 pages up, one assessment and the other essentially live - http://tiggrweather.net/wxusfswfas.php and https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ (from my nav bar link).
John
W7JKG

Offline bitsostring

• Edinburgh, UK
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Mozilla compatible
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 03:59:36 PM »

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Chrome 67.0.3396.99
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 06:16:04 PM »
We get one or two, too. . . https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-44634023

Looks bad, and not easy to fight without being able to call on the air tankers, retardant drops, and other wildland fire resources that are available here  :(

Offline bitsostring

• Edinburgh, UK
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Mozilla compatible
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 06:23:28 PM »
Dry peat means you can beat it out on the surface but it burns away invisibly and springs up again when the wind changes. . . you have to get a lot of water on it.

Offline Harry

• Union City, CA USA
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 61.0
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 04:54:17 AM »
The current big one going in California is the Pawnee Fire.

Acres Burned - Containment:    13,700 acres - 30% contained
Structures Threatened:    600
Structures Destroyed:    22

http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents/incidentdetails/Index/2080

Offline Devil

• OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 61.0
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 07:26:27 AM »
I agree that peat fires are almost impossible to extinguish, the same as coal in bing heaps, without the help of weather. However, it is so rare in the UK that they do not have the equipment or personnel training. This country has 2 or 3 fixed-wing tanker aircraft (small, not Canadairs) and 3 helicopters, as well as ground staff and equipment for brush and forest. The aim is to start ground intervention within 20-30 min, so most fires are contained rapidly with maybe only a hectare or two destroyed. We've had one big one this year with large-scale destruction (several km˛) of forest and that was 'tamed' in 3 days with another week of mopping up. There is cooperation between Cyprus, Israel and Greece, the latter two lending Canadairs, if necessary.
Devil

Offline Devil

• OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 61.0
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 01:13:38 PM »
Today's newspaper report just 2 hours after the start of the brush fire with major fighting facilities:

A large fire broke out in Ypsonas close to Limassol general hospital just after 1pm on Saturday.

The Fire Service spokesperson Andreas Kettis said that the ‘Icarus’ plan was immediately enacted and eight aircraft were attempting to put out the blaze which was burning wild brush.

Two helicopters belonging to the government, one belonging to the police, one to the National Guard, and two planes from the Forestry Department are battling the fire. Two helicopters were also provided by the British bases.

Fire brigades from Paphos and the Nicosia HQ have also been called in to battle the blaze.

The fire has three fronts, Kettis said, saying that the northeastern side is still raging, while on the western and southern fronts there have been a number of flare-ups.

As of now, residential areas are not in danger he said, and attempts are being made to stop the fire from reaching some animal farms in the area.

The fire brigades have had difficulty in battling the blaze due to the strong winds.
Devil

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Chrome 67.0.3396.99
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 01:21:28 PM »
The approach has changed here in recent years, used to be send an engine and see what happens, now it's an immediate full on response.