Setting up second FTP site

I currently send my data to my ISP and will continue to do so, but I have set up a local Apache server at home for testing purposes. I have reviewed the manual, help videos and looked on the forums for how to set up a second FTP process. I am able to FTP to my Home server via filezilla, but have not been successful with Weather Display. There appears to be various was to do this, but I have not had any luck. I want to send the exact same files as I now do to my current ISP. I am uploading to Saratoga Templates and have uploaded all the necessary files to my test server and the website opens, but is obviously out of date, as I am not uploaded fresh data yet. WeatherDisplay version 10.37S61. Thanks for any thoughts and or suggestions to get me headed in the right direction.

John

Setting up a testing site that also serves current data isn’t all that straightforward!

I use WinSCP to transfer the vast majority of necessary files from my WD computer to my testing server. There’s definitely a learning curve that’s required in order to set up the critically important WinSCP batch files.

I have three batch files in WinSCP that are run at appropriate intervals by Splinterware’s System Scheduler. They transfer the requisite files from my WD computer to my testing server. One regularly updates all the necessary WD-related files, a second regularly updates my WebCam images, and a third regularly updates my WXSIM files.

WD’s realtime FTP can be configured to additionally transfer the real time files to a second site, which is how my testing site’s real time updates supposedly occur(see below). I’m obviously not using it to transfer any other WD files. Unfortunately WD’s realtimeftp2.exe dies on me from time-to-time (four times yesterday alone!) which requires the use of Jim McMurry’s ‘flatline-check.php’ to alert me to the problem so I can restart it.

This isn’t a project for the faint of heart, but with persistence you should be able to pull it off.

I must confess that I use an old, slow computer running WD, VWS, and WeatherLink to download the data from my Vantage Pro2+ which then is transferred via Virtual Vantage Pro’s TCP/IP capabilities to another much faster computer that runs a second copy of WD and WeatherLink. I have both copies of WD set up to transfer its real time files to my testing server, and the old, slow computer only transfers to my testing server while the faster computer transfers WD’s real time files to my GoDaddy server and supposedly to my testing server. However, it appears as though only the old, slow computer’s real time ftp is actually doing the job.

Jerry,

Thanks for the added info, sounds like I need to do some more research.

John