What is the best OS to run with Weather Display

the question is where do you have the settings files etc
ie might be in the library folder
if so now is in
[yourhome]/Documents/wdisplay/

It is in /Library/Application Support/wdisplay/ which is the main directory not in the user directory.

that is the problem
copy that whole folder to the above directory structure and then delete from there when using the latest version

Great! Soon as I get my VP2 back I’ll do that. Should I update to the latest version and get it working before I update to Sierra (currently 10.10.5) or wait till I’ve updated OS’s or does it matter? May be a few weeks before I get around to OS update, got several priorities ahead of it.

I would use the latest WD update

@Colovin, some great suggestions were made. The big one is moving the files over to your home directory. That plus latest version I think will help you out a lot. You can do this now! Good luck !!!

@ Brian, no real changes. I still continue to get the flat lines - albeit not as often. Since the issue typically happens approx 915pm or so, I find myself checking WD before I goto bed and when I wake up @ 5am every day. I also as a good habit restart WD every few days. I would love to not have to do that, but I do. I haven’t a clue how to troubleshoot this. I have done everything you asked. This is just a weird corner case. Or it could be something stupidly simple (At my job a client was experiencing a MAJOR issue and was losing $30k/hour this system was down. Turns out a switch was plugged into the wrong port and domain - once corrected all worked fine).

Is there any debugging that can be put in to capture something like this perhaps?

I copied my settings files to /Users/xxx/Documents/wdisplay/ I was surprised at how large it was, 3.4 GB. Downloaded Build 304 and put in the apps folder. Fire it up, startup screen comes up, loading various elements then it goes away. Each time I launch it, it shows loading different elements, (3D graph, more metar, new rain chart . . . ) each time it’s just loading one, it’s something different for a few seconds and then goes away. I suspect this is what was happening last time I tried to get current. Build 17 is still running just fine.

I’ve repaired permissions (you can still do that on 10.10) and cleaned out all cache files. I hesitate to uninstall Build 17, I’d rather have something working than nothing working. Could that be interfering with B304? They have different names ( WeatherD / weatherdisplay ) so they peacefully co-exist in the app folder. I’ve attached a screen shot of the startup screen. Not sure what I’m doing wrong seems like it should be simple enough.

screenshot_412.jpg

You are past me dude, best answered by Brian for that one !!!

I do know when I had the old one then new one there were two executables. Think they still ran OK… but can’t recall

try
running the exectuable
from a terminal window (from the application bundle)
to see what the error is shown

What is the command for that? I don’t use Terminal much.

you would need to change to the needed directory
i,e
cd /Applications/weatherdisplay.app/Contents/MacOS/
then run the executable
./weatherdisplay

Here is the error:

Restoring the tty configuration
Exception EAccessViolation in module weatherdisplay at 00042EEF.
Access violation at address 946DD6F8, accessing address 01E5BF14.
FastMM has detected a GetMem call after FastMM was uninstalled.Runtime error 203 at 0001F64E

.zip and email me the settings files
WDISPLAY.INI and wdisplayftp.ini
and I will test/check here

Just emailed the files. Thanks1

I found it was the webfiles location that was the problem in the WDISPLAY.INI settings file

Everything is now up and running. It was the WDISPLAY.INI settings but more than just the webfies location. There were several pointers to the old location that had to be quashed. Once the program started running I wasn’t getting data out to indigo and the wunderground station. The wunderground station hasn’t been maintained for years (my call) but I now wanted to have it up and going. Brian tirelessly worked with me (he did the work, I just followed his directions) to track down the problems. Came down to, “make sure the main Internet switch is on under control panel, ftp/Internet setup.” It wasn’t on, once turned on the data flowed as it should.

Next step is to move to OS 10.12 which will happen in a week or two. I’ll followup with that, hopefully that will be a non event.

There is no program out there that is supported better than Brian supports Weather Display. Once again he has come to the rescue. After I make the move to 10.12 it will probably be years before I have to touch the program again. It just works . . .

Glad to hear it worked out

Yes Brian does a great job. He has bailed me out of a few sticky situations

Good luck with Sierra. I think you will like it.

Did you say your VP was usb or serial? Make sure to get the latest driver from Silabs

I’m running Davis VP2 USB with Sierra no issues (well… 99% no issues)

It’s USB. Currently running Silabs 3.1 #-o but I’ve downloaded the current 5.04 waiting for the Sierra. Not going to be messing with it now because (say again) if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I know it will be broke with Sierra though. :smiley:

Btw I’m on slabs 5.x and works fine with sierra !!!

I really need to goto High Sierra. Overtime I call Apple for an issue while they say they still support Sierra, most of the time they tell me to upgrade first - which I won’t do.

Good luck !!!

OK, I’ve done the transition to Sierra. Weather Display went without a hitch. The other mission critical app, Indigo had a mild hiccup because of a wayward database but once I tracked that down it got up and running rather quickly. Everything else has been a freaking nightmare. I did no migration, was starting from scratch. Getting my mail and things like that transfer from the old to the new has reaffirmed why I don’t like updating OS’s :-).

One issue that I’m having with Weather Display . . . Happened on the old OS when I updated wdisplay to the current version. I was waiting to see if Sierra would correct it but it didn’t. Indigo quits and restarts wdisplay every 6 hours. I might back off on that in Sierra, see if it’s necessary but in 10.10 wdisplay would be running but after awhile would stop transferring data to Indigo. The restarts took care of the problem. But when it restarts the splash screen doesn’t go away until the next time I’m on the computer and click on the splash screen. Wdisplay is doing it’s thing, just with the splash screen still up. Also the WeatherDisplay menu in the upper left hand corner of the menu bar is non functional. I used to be able to click on it and get a quit option which you still do when you first launch the program but shortly thereafter it does nothing when you click on it. You can still get the quit option on the bottom dock icon but no longer on the upper menu. Is this normal or do I have something going on here?