WD Hangs on Start-Up

I have my computer restart at 03.30 every morning, then WD starts a few minutes later. Lately, I have found the computer in the morning to have hung up during WD’s attempt to open. A dialog is open asking what language I want to use for WD, and the “Davis WMII/Wizard data extract…” dialog box is open, too (see image). The actual WD window is also open, but frozen. The graphs are odd colors (the normally-red wind gust graph is white, for example).

I usually have to go back and get an archived copy of my wdisplay.ini and replace my current .ini file to get past this, as it appears the current .ini file gets corrupted.

I would like to (1) find my way back to reliable daily restarts and (2) get rid of the pesky “Davis WMII/Wizard data extract…” dialog altogether. It doesn’t seem to do anything, except occasionally cause trouble.

Would love some suggestions! Thanks,
Jim

WD Ver 10.37S67
Win 10, x64
Dell XPS9100

Capture.JPG

How is WD being shut down?

Uh-oh. You may be on to something. :oops: I very unceremoniously let Windows kill it during the reboot.

I think that will be the root of the problem…

You

There was a WD suggestion a while ago asking for a clean way to externally do a “save and exit”. I use a windows macro but it’s specific to my screen size etc. so it wouldn’t help to share it.

Yes, I was hoping for a kinder way to end WD other than the taskkill command. I hadn’t thought of a macro. I’ll give that a try. Thanks again.

you could try a complete data logger reset
(this has worked for others)
exit WD
i.e a power down of the console (that means removing batteries too)
then remove the data logger for 5 minutes
before putting that back
then power up the console
then use say weatherlink to set the time and date on the console and set the data logger to 1 minute logging interval (or use WD to do that)
then it should behave better for the next restart of WD

Not sure if this is the same issue, but on a new install at a school I work at, the window opens that tries to read the past data-logger data, but it never does. There is a number in the top right that increments but that’s it. I can abort, the window closes, and WD begins reading the data.

Would your suggestion above take care of that issue Brian?

I ended up trying what you suggested to see if it would fix my issue but it didn’t.

are you sure you have the correct com port number selected?
what shows under view, debug info?

I’ll have to check tomorrow, I only have access during the day.

WD says COM 3 and once I abort the little opening window, WD reads all the data. When I go to device manager, it says COM 3 there as well.

That’s what had me confused. I could understand if I didn’t get data at all, but it’s just that opening window that reads the data-logger. I’ll try what you’ve suggested tomorrow morning.

did you set the time on the console correct and set to 1 minute data logging?

The console time matches the computer time. When I first set it up, I realized I forgot to set the console time. So today, I followed your instructions on resetting the data-logger and setting the time on the console before plugging in the data-logger.

I’m turned off Windows Power Management for all USB and ports as well. I’ve been running WD with and without VVP for years (this setup is without VVP) and I’ve never seen this particular problem.

Brian, here’s what I see

I also checked and the logger is set for 1 minute and WD is set to update the console time. Both the PC and Console have the correct time.
Version 10.37S b42.

Also, I don’t mind losing any data to get this straightened out, this is a brand new install and I figured I would clear everything before June 1 anyway.

Snap2.png

do you have ticked to reconnect the com port on start up maybe?
(in the com port setup)
and did you say you did do a complete data power down and reset?

I did the complete shutdown and startup but I’m going to do it again. I’ll check that other setting… I don’t remember seeing that but I’ve looked at so many settings now, I’m cross-eyed. :slight_smile:

Didn’t see a reconnect com port of startup on mine at home (10.375b42) and I’m running the same version at school.

have you tried using the latest version?
you need to be using that to move forward with troubleshooting etc

I’ll download that today and see what it does. I thought I had downloaded the newest at work but apparently I just grabbed an older version.
Thanks Brian.