Data Extraction on Startup

Hi all.

I am running the latest version of WD, and have noticed this problem for about the last couple or three versions.

I have a Davis Vantage Vue. I have my pc restart automatically each 2 day cycle.

What I have noticed happen on a number of occasions, but not all the time, is when WD starts up, the data extractor tries to get data from the Data logger it cant extract the information so the extraction tool keeps retrying which it still cant receive the data after numerous retries. Yet if i shut down WD and restart it, it gets the data no issues at all.

The problem I have with that is WD does not get any data from the console until I either abort the data extraction, or restart WD.

For future updates, is it possible if WD data extractor cant get the data after lets say 10 attempts, that the data extractor automatically aborts so that WD can kick in ???

My pc is on 24/7, the only reason I keep the data logger active is im case we get a power cut which the extractor will get the data from the logger. In the interim, i have shut off the data logger.

yes, I could add a like give up after so many attempts and just get live data
but you could also try doing a complete reset of the data logger:
exit WD
power down the console
remove the data logger…for 5 minutes…put back in…power up console…then set the time/date on the console and set the data logging interval to 1 minute (via the data logger setup in WD)

Do I need to remove the battery in the console as well ???

Will the console have to have all the other setting such as lat and long set back up again etc

yes, you need to remove batteries, as otherwise its not powered down

yes you would need to reset lat/long (but that is not urgent…that just helps with day/night icon on console and the forecast)
actually I think the lat/long (south or east) is remembered after the console is powered down)

Right, you should not lose the console settings.

Thank you all …I powered the unit down, left it off for 5 minutes, set it all back up and the data extractor pulled the information from the logger as of yesterdays date when I had turned the data logger off till when i rebooted the pc just now.

If possible for in the future, I think it could still be useful for the extractor to abort itself after lets say 10 attempts so WD can proceed receiving data from the console but will leave that up to you.