Weatherlink IP not working

Just noticed since yesterday that I’m no longer connecting to my Weatherlink IP, and even going directly to it via browser, I’m failing to connect.

I’m assuming it has died all of a sudden, for reasons unknown.

Nothing else has died on my local network, so I’m for now assuming it died of ‘natural causes’.

This is rather disappointing for it to fail this way, so I’m wondering if anyone else has had their Weatherlink IP fail like this ?

Interestingly I’ve pulled the old serial data logger out of my old VP2, done the uninstall/install routine, and it comes up as an incompatible datalogger !!

I’ve also tried another Weatherlink IP I had accidentally ordered a few years ago, and still can’t get my weather data.

Is there a default IP address that these WL IP’s come up with? … I would have thought they’d go DHCP , but nothing is showing up there for me.

have you tried removing it for 5 minutes from the console (and unplug from router), to reset it

Thanks Brian, that’s one thing I haven’t tried yet. I’ll give it a blast now. :slight_smile:

Nope, sadly that didn’t make any difference.

I also tried another weatherlink IP data logger that I had here, and that didn’t work either.

The serial one comes up with an error when try to use that in my current vp2, but still works in my older vp2… and the WL IP go in to the older vp2, but can’t be accessed either.

wake up today, and WLIP is not connecting… this is the new one I put in the other day.

using a browser to the IP that it is on, won’t bring up the configuration page anymore.

Can ping it fine from this computer.

I can’t afford to buy another WLIP as they are just short of $400 each to buy over here.

This is really doing my head in, I’ve contacted Davis themselves via email, but have yet to get an email response back from them since this problem first started.

re the configuration page
try not having any software running that access it
when you try to bring that up in a browser
(once you know the IP address)
e.g to unset static IP or similar
does the Pingdavis.exe program that comes with WD find it?
maybe there is some sort of DOS attack going on?

Okay, I’ll try that on a laptop that only has a switch between it and the WLIP.

PingDavis.exe comes up with a Unhandled exception error, “Index was outside the bounds of the array”

It eventually opens up that window if I click on continue.

just tried it on this restricted network, and using weatherlink software 6.0.3

It had an option to find it, and it did to give me the id and the ip I had it set to, but even that came up with a communications error.

“Remote device that you are trying to connect to unreachable. Check remote device’s parameters.”

in weatherlink setup, I went to communications port, set it for tcp/ip, then selected local device, where it finds it okay, and even tells me the ip address I set it to.

further to this, I use the firmware updater, and it sees the device, and I can upload the new firmware perfectly okay “Firmware Update Successful!” , but still can not access the configuration page via any browser… the connection has timed out errors.

This is on my old Win XP laptop via a switch not connected to anything else but the WLIP and the laptop

I have found the setup screen via a browser flaky
At the best of times

Just an update to this issue.

A big fat nothing

Contacted Davis many times, and their return of my emails to them has been absolute pathetic. :frowning:

Still no fix to this issue, so I have a not very old VP2 doing stuff all at the moment, at least as far as sucking data out of it.

Even a custom flash for it, that resets everything back to DHCP instead of the static IP’s that they have been set to and operated fine for ages, as posts here indicate static IP address setting might be an issue.

Yes I had a very similar issue occur last year. The final outcome was the power supply was failing and their was insufficient power output to enable it to function correctly.

I was dealing with the Australian Davis Supplier at that point of time not directly with Davis Technical Support and it was them that suggested it maybe the power supply as everything else was functioning correctly.

They actually sent one for free and they were correct and all was fully functional thereafter

yes, that is what I would if you have not, use a power supply to the console that can put out a bit more amps

Thanks Gents, I might just do that then.

After another email sent last night, they finally replied and asked me to re-flash it and report what firmware it could see.

In my case it reported 1.13 then flashed 1.1.3 on to it… still no change.

So you can connect to this and confirm that the firmware is the current version.

I would attempt the following:

1. Shutdown/turn any network devices, router, switches etc.
  2. Showdown the console, and remove power and batteries
  3. Restart network devices in order of precedence of router and then switches
  4. Connect the Weather IP to lan, insert in console, apply power and batteries.

Wait 15 minutes and see if it is registered on the LAN and try to connect.

I am having a similar problem with WD pinging my IP Data Logger.

I can ping it using command line with no problem.

WD errors with “Index was outside the bounds of the array”

…with this detail
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at WindowsFormsApplication1.Form1.Ping_all()
at WindowsFormsApplication1.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.7.3132.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll

PingDavis
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/wdisplay/PingDavis.exe

System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.7.2556.0 built by: NET471REL1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System
Win32 Version: 4.7.3151.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_B
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Core
Win32 Version: 4.7.2670.0 built by: NET471REL1LAST_C
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

System.Xml
Win32 Version: 4.7.2612.0 built by: NET471REL1LAST_B
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

if you know the IP address anyway, there is no need to run that pingdavis program
and so just enter the IP address into WD
(and your post is not related to this thread I think you will find?)