Recovered Davis anemometer

Umpteen months ago my Davis anemometer/wind gauge stopped working properly. As it was on a pole attached to the solar water heater, high up on the roof at a guestimated 12 -13 m and because my age did not permit me to do rooftop gymnastics, I bought an Aercus system. This past week or so, a technician from our CH co. had to go up on the roof and I asked him to bring down the pole/anemometer. I found that both the wind speed and direction system was bunged up with a very fine dust which rain had hardened into a cement (we often get excessive very fine dust storms blown in from the Sahara, exceeding all PM10 and PM2.5 levels). This deposit had hindered the movements of the instrument. I tried to remove as much as possible (wet toothbrush). It now works; the anemometer is fine and it calibrates well with the Aercus (in fact, the Davis is slightly higher on gusts, but it is about 1.5 m higher), bearing in mind the different time scales. However, the vane is still slightly sticky, but this is not a real problem as it fails to register only on slight summer zephyrs; any wind over 1 m/s moves it.

As the Davis is now ‘all systems go’ again (except for UV), I’ll now reconfigure it as the main system, with our forecasts.

the weatherflow station might be good for this type of area, as no moving parts (ultrasonic)

Indeed, Brian, thanks. I’ve ordered one which should be ready this month. I feel quite apprehensive setting it up. Where I have doubts, which may not be founded, is that if I stick it up a few metres for the wind, I won’t be able to wipe the solar/UV clean! Can’t win it all ways! :slight_smile: