Arduino as a source for Extra Temp sensors etc

Brian,

I run on WD a Davis Vantage Pro as my weather station with Solar and UV. I also have a Hobby Boards 3 Hub from which I run a number of extra 1-wire sensors - mainly DS18B20 temperature sensors. One of the Hub ports has just packed up and for the time being I am still able to run my extra sensors using the remaining still functioning ports - but clearly the writing is on the wall for this device.

I know that I could get a USB widget for the 1-wire sensors and have WD pick them up via the 1-wire reader built in. However, it is very easy to set up an Arduino to talk to a 1-wire bus and this would be an easy replacement scenario when the HBoard Hubs die. I know you cater for an Arduino Weather station in the set up section, but I dont want to go that route and would want to stick with my Davis as main weather station.

Is it possible for you to modify WD so that and Arduino could be the source for extra sensors - ie implemented separately from an Arduino weather station? I am sure that there would be other folk interested in doing this as Hobby Board hubs start to fail. I think this would be a great opportunity to make the superb Weather Display program even more versatile.

Rob
roboz 6

I guess so
I would need to make it where you would define what sensors to use?

Hi Brian,

I guess so. I would think the Arduino output would be along the lines of:

extratemp1=25.1, extratemp2=29.7, extratemp3=77.1, soiltemp1=15.6, extrahum1=60.2, extrahum2=78.9 and so forth.

Is this what you mean?

Rob

I am very interested in this
mick

I think it’s a good idea too. This hub package for the Arduino looks interesting.

@niko

Thank you for the link to the hub package project on Arduino you found. Looks to be a lot more ambitious than what I have in mind, but I will explore this further as time permits. Meanwhile, we will see what Brian’s response is to my earlier postings.

Rob

I will work on adding this over the coming days
(and yes the output needs to be like what you posted)

Brian,

Thank you for taking this on. I am looking forward to working with you on this, and I hope it will not be too difficult for you to do.

Rob

lets keep it simple
i.e you just have the sensors in the output that you want WD to use :slight_smile:

Brian,

So you would just want to see in the Arduino output say:

extratemp1=24.4, extratemp2=38.1, extratemp3=27.5, extrahum1=68.2, extrahum2=54.5 etc . I assume WD would allow me to name what extratemp1 is etc as it does now.

If I later wanted to expand this and add additional sensors to the Arduino or would you just set it up with a predefined list of what inputs you would handle and I would write arduino sketches to comply with what you set up? Am I on the right track with your thinking?

Rob

yes, basicly (using the scheme of supported input format as shown in the weather station type setup, arduino universal input)
try a new .zip update, ready now…
and set it up under setup, advanced/misc , extra temp tab , bottom right hand corner

Brian,

I did that and it indicated the Arduino was connected. Where do I go to from here? Should I disconnect the existing hub, shut down 1wire reader? How do I see what it is seeing from the Arduino?

you should see data under view, debug info
when a # is found at the end of the data

but I have made a mistake…
download another .zip update

also make sure to select the correct baud rate

Brian,

So I need to modify the arduino output so that it prints # at the end of the print string?

yup

Hi Bryan,

I have done all that and have tried a very simple arduino program at this point. So far I am not seeing anything. I have attached some screen captures.

I have also found once I established that it wasnt working that when I uncheck the Enabled box on Arduino As Extra Sensors it doesnt release, in my case Comm Port 7. The only way I can get it back is to save and exit from WD and restart.

Rob

arduino  setting.JPG

debug info.JPG

it needs to be like
extratemp1=22.5
and not
extratemp1 = 22.5
i.e no spaces

I do see another problem in my code, so download another update (but also remove those spaces)

Brian,

Further to formatting. No problems in producing output without spaces: extratemp1=25.1 And I will also remove the C - not needed.

At moment I have a space between values eg: extratemp1=25.1 extratemp2=28.8 etc then space #. You don’t need a leading # as well do you? And/or do you need say commas in the string eg: extratemp1=25.2,extratemp2=28.8 (space)#

Easy to provide output exactly the way you want it.

Used the new zip file and now see this, when using the format below.

debug info2.JPG