LED Sign w/Ethernet or Wireless IP Feed?

Brian,

8-10 years ago you designed a program to send WD (tags) weather data using a “serial” connection to a “Betabrite” led sign. Newer outdoor led signs are now
using Ethernet cables or wireless IP sources to feed the signs. Can WD be programmed to use Ethernet or wireless IP? If so, what specific “sign”, “connectivity” information is required to design a program?

Cheers,

don’t know sorry
if it has data protocol info then I am sure I could add support

Here are some links for the Alpha data protocol. General link http://support.adaptivedisplays.com/Documentation/questions.php?questionid=149

Specific link for the StreetSmart 17mm sign http://support.adaptivedisplays.com/Documentation/categories.php?categoryid=59

I will not have the sign for testing until late April but perhaps you can check into your “current option” in “Setup”, “Advanced/Miscellaneous”, “LED Sign” to see if
your current LED sign page design meets the attached data protocol. I plan on using a wireless Ethernet communication option.

I would like to be able to send to the sign various WD “testtags”, "%xxxxx%, to be displayed on the sign and also any NWS weather alerts (warnings, watches, advisories) for the specific county where I reside.

Much appreciated!

Cheers …

I see there is a demo test program (which compiled OK)

That sounds like a good start. Do you think that your current “LED Sign” program will function with this sign “as is”? To broadcast NWS alerts (warnings, watches, advisories) for my county will I need to do a customization? Your program requires a connection to a serial port in the PC. Would I have to convert from serial to Ethernet wireless with an adapter?

the data protocol is similar but I do not think compatible?
the sample program does have option to use com port or IP

Not being compatible could be an issue. I want this sign to be a “public service” to the traffic passing by my location. Being able to alert the public to NWS alerts is a main
consideration for installing the sign. Not all led signs have the flexibility to customize output from other software. I don’t want to expend funds on a sign that can not
accept data from other software. I was hoping that this particular sign might work.

What are your suggestions?

what I mean is its not going to work with WD out of the box
and instead I would need to add code to support it

That’s encouraging … I’m experimenting with your “email weather alert warning section” now. Hopefully it can be integrated into the led sign project.