save and shutdown WD

Hi Brian,

Is there any way to do this or add to WD a way save and close WD? We’ve had so many storms and power outages and even though I have WD on a laptop as the battery runs out and windows closes WD never closes gracefully. I just spent hours rebuilding log files to get WD back in shape. It would be great if on low power I could run a task running WeatherDisplay.exe with a switch to save the settings and close the prog.

b. 56, win 7

Thanks!
Roger

The Windows 7 Task schedule has the option to “Stop if on battery power” under the Conditions tab.

It’s a good idea :slight_smile:

AFAIK that just kills the task, it’s not necessarily equivalent to a graceful “save and exit”.

I use a program created with a windows automation software to automatically “save and exit” WD but it’s very PC dependent so I won’t share it. You could do the same with AutoIt which is free.

Thanks, Geoff but I’m not sure that would do what I want, plus I need WD to stay running as long as possible on battery in case the power returns.
Niko, you gave me a couple of good ideas. I did try Googling software for that between power outages but must have chosen poor keywords! Sometimes windows goes down and WD is OK but sometimes…what a mess! This last outage not only did some log files get trashed but when I did get the generator running the snow from yesterday on my heated rain gauge became the liquid from today. so I spent time approximating the liquid equivalent for each day to the snowfall.
Roger

seems to work OK for me, especially if under Settings “If the running task does not end when requested, force it to stop” is not ticked!

And of course you can set the task to run on power up as well, so it will start when Windows starts, and stop when the machine goes to Battery power.

Why not try it and see what it does for you, nothing to loose :slight_smile:

Except your settings :lol: But we all have a backup - right :wink: