Doppler rain sensor on ebay

Aside from a power supply for the sensor, the only connections you need for RS-485 serial comm with the PC are 3 & 4. That’s a 2 wire RS-485 interface (there’s also 4-wire RS-485). There’s not much info on the Conrad data sheet but I think the two connections you need are the T/R- and T/R+. T/R- is “A” (pin 3) and T/R+ is “B” (pin 4). You could ask Conrad how to connect this for 2-wire RS-485 or look for a different adapter specifically for that.

Hi Niko,

Thanks for the fast reply.
Yes ive seen alot of rs485 to usb with just 2 connections on the rs485 side.
See picture below.
Is it really that simple?
Ive heard it (rs485) probably needs a driver, or probably when plugged in, it detects the serial port and go from there ?

Looks like one of these. Should be OK but without a detailed spec sheet it’s hard to be sure :dontknow:

…for the price its worth a try :smiley:

Agreed :slight_smile:

Hi,

The R2S is working fine with my datalogger.
Im getting data but in not sure if the R2S is set to 0.01 0.1 or 1.0 mm.
Yesterday i got 0.07 mm in light rain, i have to connect the R2S to my pc and run the R2S software to see its settings, but i dont have the rs485 to usb converter yet.
Ive set my datalogger to 0.01mm a tip, but i have to be sure the R2S is set to 0.01 also.

May i ask WD to add a setting to have the amount of, -and rate, in 0.01 mm?
That would be great to have it run in WD.

With kind regards.

Im looking for a transformator 220v to 24vdc 30 amps.
Someone can advice me in the right direction or a link to one cheap?

Where are you?

That’s a big power supply and shipping cost will be a factor so it’s probably best to find a relatively local source. In the U.S. it would probably cost about $200 + shipping, for example. Be sure to get something that is approved for your market (CE ?). For a high power item like this I would not get a no-name unit from ebay.

I found this local:
Meanwell RSP-1000-24

Dont know if its quality or not, its used, 60 euro’s…

The sensor isnt working now, because its currently getting power from 24v 3amps, but the heating needs 30amps…
And its cold so i think it wont heatup enough to work properly.
It worked when it was about 15 degrees celsius warmer…

All I can say is that I have several Meanwell supplies and have not had a problem.

I found an EU price of 233 euro for that new so provided the seller assures you that it’s working and not smoking or damaged I would go for it :slight_smile:

Yes i think so to.
I think its has some cooling fans, does it make noise?
And i need 24v dc, dont know if this unit has dc? ( i just noticed that sign after the 24v is ground…)

…and i dont know how to wire it.
The v+ and v- are the 24v ones i think, the L N are 220v but dont know which is + - or ground…

Correct, v+ and v- are the 24 v dc. Neither one is connected to ground, the customer can choose which one to ground. I haven’t looked at the doppler data sheet but I would guess you need +24 in which case you ground the v-. Be careful.

Thanks Nico :smiley:

Be sure to use cable that is big enough to carry 30 amps without significant heating, a short circuit would be spectacular :wink:

Really? The wires inside the sensors cable are thin…

I just noticed in the manual its 30va… #-o
So i think the powersupply is ok at the moment with 3amps…

Will have a look if theres an option to set the heating on or off…
Maybe its outside temperature related and maybe the sensor is set to fahrenheit because it came from the states…

[quote author=Asperitas link=topic=66317.msg534121#msg534121 date=1521408553]
I just noticed in the manual its 30va… #-o
So i think the powersupply is ok at the moment with 3amps…[/url]

I think so too :smiley:

…but in this article its stated as 30a…very confusing.

I think it has to be 30VA, I see that in several places in the doc.

7.4 Electrical data
Power supply: 20 … 30 VDC; typically 24 VDC
Power consumption: < 100 mA (heating off)
Heating duty 30VA
Protection class: III (SELV)

Power supply 4…32 VDC
Power consumption without heating 2VA
Heater power 30VA

The lufft power supply unit is listed as 24 volts 4 amps, and looking at the manual the connectors to the unit aren’t at all suitable for 30 amps.