Both instances of WD (latest version) shut down when I close one of the windows

I have an old Win XP running my good Weather Displays, taking data from a Texas Wx Instruments and a Peet Brothers, with two WD windows showing on my screen. They also upload the WD pages and clientraw.txt and the Meteotemplate API to my web page and do it day in and day out. About the only time I reboot is after a power interruption or after updating WD.

I also have a bigger faster Win 7 computer running all sorts of test junk. Lately I have two instances of WD on it, with a test station open on one of them, and another station that I’m fiddling with too. The first instance is pretty well configured to the way I want it, so I just let it run. The other instance of WD running is having more problems with me getting the serial port settings correct, and there is where I’ve noticed some strange behavior.

When I shut down the one instance of WD, BOTH windows close. It doesn’t make any difference which station I start first, or which one I close, even the one that has been error free and well laid out for a month. I just noticed this when I started fiddling with the second station, and found that closing either closes both.

This does NOT happen with the two WDs running on the XP machine, as old and slow as it is.

Both computers us USB to RS232 converters and all are running S66 update of the WD software.

I must be missing something in configuration either of Windows or WD

It’s just a bit baffling why closing one shuts the other down. It would be akin to having a browser open, and Microsoft Word, and closing one shuts both down, so the two open WD windows must be linked somehow.

Anyone have thoughts?

Dale

in the second location
do you have a file called
2wd.txt?

you should find that closing that one down only will close that instance
but closing the one in the normal location will close all (designed that way)

Brian:
To explain just a wee bit more. This current test computer was being configured to take over for the XP machine, which is running two instances of WD, therefore I began by installing the first instance of WD in wdisplay, and the second in wdisplay2 (which does have the 2wd.txt file in it) directories.

Since they were sort of configured the way I wanted them, I left them be as I wanted to test a couple other weather stations, and then made wdisplay3 directory with 3wd.txt text file in it, and finally wdisplay4 with 4wd.txt file in that, also.

It was the WD3 and WD4 that were running with the two test stations attached, while wdisplay and wdisplay2 instances were not running.

Your explanation would account for why terminating either 3 or 4 would shut down the other running instance. I didn’t realize that the instances were not independent from one another and interacted as they do.

Thanks, and I just wanted to fill you in as to the weird configuration I was running as a sort of test bed without goofing up the two I had already configured.

Dale

PS, just for curiosity, how many instances can run, or is it depend more on how much computer power and memory one has rather than some programming limits? Do you know the most that any user has reported running simultaneously?

you could run up to 10 (ie 10wd.txt) :wink:

Brian, Thanks for the info. I can’t afford too many more stations… (grin).
Dale

I could put in setting to not shut down all running instances

I would find that useful to have the program only terminate and exit the one instance I was working with and not have to restart all the others.

I assume you designed it for a reason, but if it doesn’t affect other users or the way the system works, I would like to have it leave the other instances running, but that is just my two cents worth.
Dale

I agree, that would be a nice option :slight_smile:

OK, added, to latest .zip update (see in the setup, advanced/misc)