Moving WD to a new/different PC

My old computer kept crashing so I am trying to move WD to my new Windows 10 computer. However, I cannot seem to get WD to work. I followed the instructions and notes on “Moving WD to a New/different PC.” I had to change the port number to 1 as instructed in the port’s data. I am installing to the same drive C and ran the regedit I got from the old PC and wdisplay.ini from databackup to wdisplay folder. I have the Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless.

Any suggestion?

What happens when you run/try to run WD?

The graphs look ok but RED on the Data Received and Data Quality. Not much filled out on the left.

One note I do not understand. Here it is:

Note: One problem can occur - if the registry entry is not default, i.e. its by a logged user address, then the default entry will need to have the default path in each line of the registry file changed to the needed path. If after starting WD, and the registry entries have not loaded, try the following. Go to ftp/internet setup, then click OK. Then use regedit.exe and search for wdisplayftp.ini - do multiple searches - if you find one that only has a few entries, then copy / take note of the path used. Then change the default path in the wdisplayftp.reg file using a text editor to the required path, and save that file. Then double click on the wdisplayftp.reg file.

Could something here be my problem?

What drive/folder/directory was WD installed in on the old PC? Was it C:\wdisplay?

What drive/folder/directory is WD installed in on the new PC?

Are you running WD as Administrator?

What does it say across the top of the WD screen?

What type of Weatherlink data logger do you have, Serial, USB, or IP?

WDisplay folder on both

WD as administrator

See attachment

USB data logger

USB data logger is unlikely to land on Port 1. I’m not familiar with W10 but you need to look in Device Manager, open the Ports (Com & LPT) item, and you should see a Silicon Labs line with a port number - set WD to that port. If you don’t see that tell us what you do see listed.

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/7-ways-to-access-device-manager-in-windows-10.html

Didn’t see the Silicon Labs line but see the attached for what I did see.

Here’s what happens when I install WD. It stays around a long time.

WD History.JPG

Just to confirm this is an original Davis USB weatherlink - right?

If you unplug and plug the USB cable do you get any message popup about installing a driver

My guess is that you don’t have the driver installed, go to CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers - Silicon Labs and download the Win10 universal driver. Run the install, check Device Manager again and let me know what happens.

(The Davis message in your next post is because WD is not connected to the station.)

It works now. You were absolutely correct, I needed the Silicon Labs Driver. It showed up in the port setting of the device manager. As port # 3.

Cool :smiley: