WD stops recieving/sending data

Hi

The last 4-5 months my WD stops getting data from my Davis Vantage Pro2 and stops uploading data to my website.

After a WD restart its collecting the missing data from the datalogger and works…until next time it stops.

I havent installed or changed anything for a long time in WD and/or Windows 8. I have checked power settings about ports beeing set to sleep - but its not the issue. I have also looked in the programerrorlog - but its empty.

Im running WD 10.37S build 62.

Any suggestions what might be the issue? For the last week its happening 10-15 times a day.

Kind regards,
Henrik

Similar issue here. WD stops every few hours. Running 10.37S Build 66 as Administrator. Windows 10. Feed from weatherlink.com. Here’s programerrorlog.txt from today and each error is when WD stopped. Any idea of the cause of the errors? Weatherlink.com appears to be receiving data with no errors form the console.

11001: [11001] Host not found
Above error or program log occured at :02 32 00 02/15/2018
10060: [10060] Connection timed out
Above error or program log occured at :06 36 21 02/15/2018
10060: [10060] Connection timed out
Above error or program log occured at :19 28 21 02/15/2018

@Novatel,your issue is not related at all
What looks to be happening is the connection to weather link.com is being interupted/timed out or similar
Does WD get live data again after that error,or?

No, WD doesn’t get live data again after the error, I have to exit WD and restart it.

try this update
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/weatherdisplaytest.zip
do you sometimes have slow internet etc?

@jwwd
maybe also check windows selective suspend power settings ( there is a youtube video) and also makes sure the hard drive is not set to go to sleep etc
are you able to test on another pc?

Hi Brian

Thanks for your reply and help. I went thru the power settings once more - and to my big surprise I saw athat my harddrive was set to sleep after 20 minutes. Its now changed to “Never” - lets see if that might be the problem.

About the http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/weatherdisplaytest.zip - was that meant for me or novawx?

Kind regards,
Henrik

Hi guys,

Sorry if I mixed two issues when I replied to Henrik’s initial post. Oddly enough, I did have the same issue as Henrik when I installed WD on a new PC last month - my hard drive was set to sleep by default from the manufacturer, which caused WD to stop. Fixed that by never allowing the PC to sleep at all.

For my current issue, to answer Brian’s question about slow internet, I have Verizon FiOS Gigabit service, which is 100% fiber to my router. My latest test shows 944 Mbps download and 906 Mbps upload with ping/latency of 4 ms at the router and at my PC via 5G WiFi, 413 Mbps download and 380 Mbps upload. I think Brian’s test file is for me to try, which I will and report back.

Hi again

My WD stopped again today getting new data and uploads stopped as well. So changing the harddrive power settings didnt solve the problem.

Any other suggestions?

Kind regards,
Henrik

really need more information
what data logger type?

I do not have any other reports of this happening to other Davis users, so its something about your setup

Hi Brian

Sorry I didnt think of the missing information.

Here is my info:
Davis Vantage Pro2
USB Datalogger using Silicon Labs CP21x USB to UART Bridge (COM4) (Found in Device Management)
WD 10.37S build 62
Windows 8.1

When WD stops getting data - everything stops in WD - for example uploads of webcam, WXSIM-files etc. Only solution is to exit WD and start WD again. When WD starts up again - its getting the missing data from the datalogger.

I have not found any pattern in the stops - some days its only 1 time and other days its 10-15 times.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Kind regards,
Henrik

and there is no error in WD?
I would try running it on a different pc if you can

Hi Brian

When I enter Program Event Log in WD - its blank - but when I open programerrorlog.txt in the wdisplay folder - I only see old entries.

Its not easy to install WD on another PC - but I will try and see if I can find a PC.

Kind regards,
Henrik

Hi Brian

I havent managed to find another PC to install WD yet.

After I changed the Hard Drive powersettings in Windows - the stops are now only 1-2 times a day - so much better.

I have ticked “Restart WD when no data in 10 minutes” in Advanced/misc settings - but its not working - when WD stops - nothing happens until I manually restart WD - then its recieving the missing data.

I have noticed when WD stops getting data - its responce is pretty slow. For example when I right-click the WD icon in the tastbar its responding after 2-3 seconds. After restart of WD its responding instant. Same goes for navigating in the menues. Does that tell you something?

Kind regards,
Henrik

that tell me there is a problem with a windows driver (e.g the usb driver or similar)

Hi Brian

Thanks for your reply.

I will try and change USB-port when I get home from work.

Maybe I should try and remove the COM-port from Device mangager and unistall the drivers and install again?

In Device Manager it says that the drivers works correct.

Current driver is:
Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM4)
Date: 10-12-2012
Driverversion: 6.6.1.0

Anyone know what driver I should download and install? PC is running Windows 8.1

Kind regards,
Henrik

you could try getting a more recent version of the driver

I would get the Download for Windows 7/8/8.1/10 (v6.7.5) from https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

Hi

I have removed Silicon Labs from Device Mangement and unistalled old drivers. After that new drivers (v6.7.5) is installed.

After a reboot WD started up and recieved new data from Davis consol.

I hope this will solve the problem - I will let you know how it goes.

I wish you a nice weekend.

Kind regards,
Henrik