Setting execution (?) permissions

I updated my XP-SP3 production and test system to B66 yesterday and I’m having a couple of issues.

I used the .zip file, extracted to c:/wdisplay and it worked fine, but now I am getting windows alert/permission boxes popping up asking me if I want to run this program etc. A few questions –

• will failing to respond to one - I found one this morning waiting for response since last evening - cause WD to not continue its processing, as it was waiting over the midnight reset time frame, it did not reset the daily values for yesterday. I think I can do the daily reset now, or soon, and then adjust yesterdays and todays rainfall totals - correct?

• is there a way to remove this permission asking by changing any settings within XP - if so how please?

• is there a way to set all the cronxxxxxx jobs in Wdisplay to run as admin by default?

• will this be a ‘normal’ experience each time I update the WDisplay .exe’s?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks

Ken

If updating a program from a .zip update then yes Windows will ask if it is ok to run the program. It is a very long time since I used XP but there should be a tick box saying something like “always ask before running this program” on the pop-up and unticking that before comfirming it is OK to run will stop it asking until the next time you update the program.

Only a full install will install programs properly so the pop-ups don’t appear but I recall you can’t do full installs on XP - only via the .zip update.

Yes, I had an experience a few years back where WD did stop processing when waiting for one of these pop-ups. It was for the email warning program that I had updated some time before. There were no alerts or records broken to trigger the program until a day after I went on holiday (Murphy’s Law) and I only knew about it when people emailed me to say the weather data had stopped. I had stupidly forgotten to setup any form of remote access to my PC so it had to wait until my return nearly 2 weeks later. I clicked OK to confirm it was ok to run the program and WD resumed collecting data, but of course there were 12 days of data missing :frowning:

Ah, thanks Martyn…

So I have 2 options then. Upgrade a 1gb netbook to win7 or win 10 ($$$$) or

after an update zip go into WD and individually give each .exe the permission to run. Figure that’s probably going to involve starting each .exe and unticking the box. A messy way, but about the only option I have I suppose.

Thx

Ken

If it’s an exclusively WD box then you should have a third option (although I can’t argue that moving on from XP isn’t a good idea) which is to turn off User Account Control (UAC) which is the source of the warnings.

Niko,
yes it is exclusively a weather box, but digging thru your link and my settings in control panel, it’s not available in XP

Thanks Tho’

Ken

FWIW, I still get the “do you want to run this program” type popup even though I have set UAC to the mimimum “never notify” setting on this Win7 box.

So much for google :roll: Sorry :oops:

Is that the popup with the always ask/allow box, or is it the one asking if you want to allow the program to make changes?

AFAIK it is the “open file - security warning” type box. I believe there is a setting that can be changed that circumvents it, but I have never been inclined to do it. Also I don’t update WD very often these days anyway.