GPS Jamming in the U.S. West

The military will be jamming GPS in February and March. It will be interesting to see what systems this affects, Blitzortung maybe (and my GPS clock :frowning: ).

It’s certainly a realistic scenario these days :frowning:

It’s one of the reasons Europe started Galileo (not yet fully operational): “. . . European Union member states decided it was important to have a satellite-based positioning and timing infrastructure that the US could not easily turn off in times of political conflict.” Wikipedia

Unfortunately, we caved in and compromised, so now either can be jammed without affecting the other.

I suppose you guys can jam the Russian system, Glonass, too?

…and I don’t doubt that you guys and the Russians, Chinese, and others can jam all the systems too :wink:

U.S. navy re-started teaching celestial navigation a couple of years ago. IMHO they were dumb to have stopped :roll:

The word Jamming was used. As opposed to runing off the GPS or re-engaging selective availability.

The FAA has hitched its horse to GPS as a solution and many pilots are a wee bit rusty on the old VOR naviagation. To do any futzing with GPS other than during a real war is bordering on irresponsible when it comes to safety of navigation.

Anyone know how they plan to do this ‘jamming’? Big AWACs planes with ECM blasting out or some ground units? At those frequencies don’t depend upon ground wave…

Acc. to the linked article:

“Electronic warfare aircraft, including the Navy’s EA-18 Growler and the Air Force’s EC-130 Compass Call, will play a role in shutting down the satellite navigation system for everything within as large as a 450 nautical mile radius.”

NOTAM’s have daily details.

Our turn: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-43878152

I don’t recall seeing any complaints about it, hope you guys have the same experience.