How widespread is PHP

PHP is a fairly common language on web servers and I’m pretty familiar with it having used it for many years. In a discussion with developer friends (corporate intranet environments) they were less familiar with it. If you have a personal web site, for weather or anything else, does the server it’s on support PHP? Note, I’m not asking if you use it, just does the server support it so you could use it if you wanted to.

I also have it on all my servers, even my laptop and local workstation as well. Been wanting to try out php7, but I’m afraid of how much will break and will need to fix. :o

W3techs survery: PHP is used by 83.1% of all the websites whose server-side programming language we know."

I’ve been using PHP for donkeys years :wink: and have it on all my systems and when looking for hosting have not yet come across a site where PHP was not supported, not an exhaustive survey though.

Stuart

Thanks for that pointer Niko.

The comparison between corporate IT web systems and the rest of the world is interesting. We only have one PHP capable system which is one that I installed as an open source experiment many years ago. Otherwise it’s IIS/.Net, SharePoint, Oracle Forms/Java, Websphere with something unknown and likely a few more other non-PHP environments.

Maybe your co’s lack of php is related to being an IIS shop?