Q: Can you identify climate change without scientific data?

I have random thoughts on my drive to work and one that’s recurred a number of times is “Can you identify climate change based on the weather conditions you see on a daily basis?”

Now I’ll start by saying that I’m not talking about “Wow, I don’t remember a storm this big…it must be due to climate change”. Unusual weather conditions can occur from time to time, but as an isolated incident they may, or may not, be related to a bigger patterns of change.

That said…I’ve been lucky to have worked for the same employer at the same site for 32 years. I’ve also lived within about a mile of my current home for 30 of those 32 years. So as you might image I’ve driven the same few routes 5 days a week, 45 weeks a year for 30 years which means I’ve got a pretty good idea in my mind of the road conditions over those years. One thing I’ve noticed increasingly over the last 5 years or so is that the roads are far more prone to flooding than they ever used to be.

From 30 to 5 years ago I remember two big flooding events leading to roads being impassable or significantly flooded (water of a few inches or more across the entire road). Both were caused by big summer thunderstorm deluges.

Over the last 5 years there have been far more instances of flooding, to the extent that I’m now familiar with 6 different locations along my drive where I’m likely to find flooding. They have become so ingrained in my mind that if it’s been raining I slow down in advance of them because I’m expecting a flood. Where in the first 25 years I’d never thought of these places I’m now finding them flooded many times per year…probably once every week or two during winter over the last 2-3 years.

Now, there could be other reasons for this and I’ve tried to come up with alternative theories. My route is mostly rural, so there aren’t drains/sewers that could be getting blocked. It’s mostly run-off into the verge and the fields beyond. The roads haven’t changed by becoming lower (not sure how that would happen) nor the verges higher (no work has been done to change them). There’s no additional water due to building or other developments near these flood sites…as I said they’re rural and it would be obvious if something big had been built near them.

Anecdotally, I would also say in parallel to this the winters locally seem to have become warmer…but I don’t have data to back that up. It just feels like there are fewer frosty days each winter. That’s to the extent that when talking to family and friends it’s remarked upon when the temperature goes below 0C. It never used to go much below that, but it now seems quite rare to see negative temperatures. Warmer winter weather would tend to give more rain, i.e. more moisture in the warmer atmosphere, which in turn would saturate the fields more, leading to less opportunity for rain water to soak away.

So I’m left wondering…when is something a short term change in weather conditions and when does it become visible climate change? How many years have to pass before we can see the visible effects of climate change?

A couple of possible causes of increased water levels in rural areas would be;
Increased and faster run-off from areas with less tree coverage, such that the low land areas see a surge of water in a shorter period, rather than previously being spread over a longer time period.
Decreased maintenance of rivers such that silt is increasing the water level height experienced when a surge occurs, this then leads to increased use of the flood plain around the river itself resulting in flooding of both flood plain and nearby areas.
Neither of the above causes can be seen visually only experienced when the rain levels increase causing a flooding event.

Valid thoughts Geoff, but I’m not sure if either would be a significant factor in this area. The Fylde coast is pretty flat and the nearest hills are 15 miles away with the land pretty flat to them, so I don’t think there’s much run-off into the area. The area isn’t heavily forested and there haven’t been significant reductions in trees in the area over the last few years.

I don’t think rivers play a significant effect either. The nearest river to my journey is the Ribble and that’s max 5 miles and min 2 miles from my route. For my entire route the river is tidal so twice a day there’s plenty of capacity to carry loads of water away.

Useful site here - I’ve selected the nearest monitoring station to Blackpool data from mid 1960’s onwards http://nrfa.ceh.ac.uk/data/station/meanflow/72002

Here in Cyprus, I have sufficient proof to satisfy me, with 100-year temperature and rainfall graphs at http://bnellis.eu/climate/ccdesert.html with average temp up by over a degree C and average rainfall down by a good 100 mm. I first came here in 1952 and 39

Ah… look to the Arctic - North Polar bears are starving https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/02/world/polar-bears-extinction-intl/index.html

here, we are getting more and more extremes in the weather happening more and more often and extreme rainfall events is something that is getting worse (as the ocean warms up around us)
(1 in a 100 year events now happening every year or two etc)