Can't get WDL (6.09) Working on New server

Hello folks! LONG-time WD/WDL user here. Just decided to upgrade my web server (after about 10 years), Followed all directions to move WD/WDL over to my new server (windows 7, IIS) and I have WD working fine, and accepting data from my David Vantage Pro2, but I can’t seem to get WDL to display either as a preview on my server, or on my site on the internet.
On the web server, in WD, I click on the WDL link, and I get a blank white screen. If I try running it through IIS as localhost I get an loclerror message that says: Error Loading Configuration: The wdlconfig.xml file is on a different domain to your WDL file" (i guess that error is to be expected, until the site is actually live).

If I try running the wdlv6_09.swf file right on the server, I get: Error Loading Configuration. The wdlconfig.xml file could not be found. Check it exists in the location you specified in the WDL html page and has not been corrupted.
I have placed the wdlconfig.xml file (as well as the wdl config big no indoors.xml file (which is what I use) in every folder imagineable, and I still get this error.

Before you ask:

1. I know there is a new non-flash version of WDL that’s available. I’m not ready to switch to that yet.
  2. If you go to my site now (www.larryscohen.com/weather), it is currently running fine from my OLD server.

Can anyone help me get WDL running on the new server?

Thanks so much in advance!

Larry

Are you still using the same domain name for the new site ??? if not then you may need to edit the index.html to reflect the new domain name.

If you are on a new domain name you will need to get a new serial number for WDL which will need to be entered into the xml file.

And yes sometime some ISP’s take up to 24 hours or even more to propagate the DNS server changes. If the DNS has propagated then you need to possibly clear the cache on your browser and a simple way to do that is bring the page up, and once there hold the Ctrl on the keyboard, and click the refresh page on the browser.

If there is a new domain name put it up in here so others can test to see if the DNS have propagated.

Hi Huggy and thanks for your reply.

To answer your question first, yes I am using the same domain name, so I don’t think it’s a WDL license issue.

Second, I have made some progress since my post. On the NEW server, when I start up WD, i can click on the WDL link in the WD window and WDL comes up fine, instruments, data and all.

Now the problem is when I turn off the old server and turn on the new one, I cant hit it on the internet. I dont think it’s a DNS propogation thing, because this server picks up the same IP address as the old server from my ISP.

When I put the old server back online, it comes right up and I can hit everything immediately.

I have essentially copied all the files from the old server to the new, and installed IIS and configured it the same as the old server. Only major difference between the two machines is that the old one is 32 bit and the new one is 64 bit.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!!

Larry

Hi, Folks,

Any other ideas? Still unable to put my new server online and have the site appear. Seems to be working fine locally on the server itself, but when I shut down the old server and put the new one up, my website can’t be found :(.

Suggestions?>>>

Thanks!

Larry

If I try running the wdlv6_09.swf file right on the server, I get: Error Loading Configuration. The wdlconfig.xml file could not be found. Check it exists in the location you specified in the WDL html page and has not been corrupted.

how have you set the path to that in the html file?

If you mean you are just running the .swf file directly then that’s a normal message. The .swf has no reference to the config file unless it’s called by some code that passes that info to it.

Hi Brian…good to hear from you again!

Ayhow…I have not been using an .html" file for the longest time, but rather an “index.asp” file, as this actually serves to redirect people trying to connect to larryscohen.com (which is my personal website), to Durham Weather Live.

I’m attaching that file for your perusal. (renamed to index.DOC) .All the paths appear correct, as I cam now able to get the site started locally (on localhost). I just can’t seem to get it up on the internet from my web server at this time!

I have all IIS settings the same as my old server…(I power down my old server, power up the new one, and no site at all at larryscohen.,com).

index.doc (3.82 KB)

we just need to see the part of the html code that loads the .xml and .swf files

See if this is what you need (attached).

Larry

info from index.txt (1.78 KB)

Gents!

Not quite sure what I did, but the new server is now working!!

You can see the site here:
www.larryscohen.com/weather

Thanks!

Larry

Well…maybe I spoke a bit prematurely…

Site IS operating and accessible…however it doesnt appear to be grabbing the current forecast and consitions from NOAA…

My settings appear to be correct, but I did see this error in the FTP log:

actual messages from upload session*
Start Time/date:2:41:07 PM 1/29/2018
ncz025.txt
Permanent connection selected
Permanent connection, will do ftp now
Checking for what else to do…
there are 1 more things to do
Finshed email agenda
Finished email agenda, no ftp items to do…
Logging onto FTP server…tgftp.nws.noaa.gov
ERROR: 11004: [11004] Valid name, no data record (check DNS setup) at time/date
2:41:08 PM 1/29/2018 agenda item: doftpdown
Doing abort procedure/program close…

Any ideas??

Thanks!!

Larry

Here I go replying to myself again, but I’m ALMOST there!
Site working OK…now getting the local conditons file ok (ncz025.txt).

Still not getting the forecast from KRDU.TXT though. Error log showing connecting bu Error 550 - Could not get file size.

Just this one thing and I’m over the hump! Anyone seen this error?

larry

FIXED!

Up and running!

www.larryscohen/com/weather

its working
but you do have a / instead of a .
in the URL you posted

Had both these problems recently when putting WDL on a new secure server and trying to decide if the absolute path to wdlconfig.xml in index.html (var pathToWdlconfig =) should begin with http: or https:

Interestingly, I discovered that it will work with a relative path, which makes it so much simpler.

P.S. I also tried this in FreshWDL’s config.js, where “customBaseURL =” is described as optional, and it seems to work there too.