New to WXSIM

Hi all,

Id like to know if and for what time i can use the free versions of it.
Im living in the Netherlands and as far as i can see its only working for ATL+.
So is it useable in my area?
Im using WD and dont use a weather website.
Can i use WXSIM just with WD data to use in WXSIM?

CheersšŸ˜

For WXSim to work properly it needs to download files from the internet as well as using your WD data. Not having a website is not an issue but the PC running WXSim must be connected to the internet. It only really works on your area once Tom (the author) has customised it for your location, once this is done it will work for your area, itā€™s not really a trial in the normal sense prior to the customisation but just shows you the kind of output and allows comparison with real forecasts for the ATL area.

Iā€™ve been using it for some years now and find it very good.

Stuart

Yes you can use the paid version for any location. It will be customized by the author to your location and weather-program.
You can use the .csv and two .txt files also without a website in EXCEL or a word-processing program.

If you have questions and want answers in Dutch you can ask them on the [color=red][b] HWA forum[/b][/color] where multiple WXSIM users are present
Wim

Thanks for the reply :smiley:
So am i right i first have to buy it (not sure which versionā€¦) in order to see if and how its working with my station data and my area?
Where does WXSIM gets his online data from and how important is my stationdata in order to make a forecast?

Sorry, i crossed your post Wim :smiley:

It has a second program called wxsimate which downloads METAR, SYNOP, Buoy, GFS, RAOB and Ozone data from the net relative to your location and without this stuff it really cannot do much at all, the WD data is really fine tuning stuff. All this other data gives all sorts of meteorological data which it needs in order to do a proper forecast, most of this data is obtained from servers in the USA as places like our UK Met Office charge huge bucks for the same data but in the USA it is free :roll: :wink: #-o

Stuart

It seems that WXSIM Professional mode - Enhanced customization has the most posibilities/ is the most accurate?

Thanks for your interest in WXSIM! (Iā€™m the author!)

It is indeed the sort of thing where you have to buy it to try it for your location. ATL is there as a demo so you can try it for Atlanta (or a site in Australia that I also have as a demo). This is not some deliberate business decision, itā€™s rather the very nature of the program. To get it to work for a speicifc location, I have to spend a few hours researching your climate, building data files, and testing and tweaking the data to optimize performance.

It does a number of things on its own, but also heavily uses both real time and model forecast data from the internet, and from your home weather station. All that goes together into making the forecasts, and you have lots of options for how to use the various types of data.

One thing about the pricing options: you can start with the least expensive option and upgrade later, spending exactly the same money you would have if youā€™d bought everything up front. However, if youā€™ve got a year or two of station data, and think there may be something unique about your local weather and climate (if itā€™s different from some other local sites), itā€™s often a good idea to let me do the ā€œenhanced customizationā€ initially.

Feel free to email me (or ask here) with more questions. [email protected]

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for taking time to respond, much apreciated :smiley:
Ive just some more questions regarding the forecasting.

1 How often can/will the forecast be updated?
2 Whats the resolution regarding the forecast and for example the development or course of a (very local) thunderstorm within
minutes/hour(s)? Will WXSIM ā€œseeā€ it in realtime (graph or data) and adjust the forecast for the next minutes/hours or is that too,
lets say, microā€¦?

Cheers :smiley:

Maybe you missed previous post Tom? :smiley:

Sorry just checking back! I check email more promptly (every day) than I do the forum, so feel free to write me directly at [email protected].

WXSIM can run forecasts whenever you want, and up to every hour in auto run mode, though I personally just have it doing five forecasts a day.

The time resolution is just minutes regarding native calculations like solar radiation (a function of sun angle), response to precipitation onset, etc., but itā€™s about 3 hours regarding weather changes (wind shifts, most cloud cover changes, etc.) becasue thatā€™s the resolution of the GFS data which it imports and largely relies upon for those variables.

Tom