Hi
I am considering upgrading my old WH1080
I have been looking at Acurite 01536 and Oregon wmr89
I would like anyones opinion on a good station that is under $300AU
Regards
John

currently the wmr89 is not supported
but I am looking at supporting that
have you considered the weatherflow station?
that works on all WD versions

Thanks Brian
I have had a look at the weatherflow, but as I wont be upgrading for a couple of months yet I just thought that I might get some ideas here

John

hi gumnut - One opinion, of course. I have an Ambient Weather WS-1400-IP, Davis Vantage Vue & Acurite 02064 “5-in-1.” I have been blown away by the Acurite’s performance/cost ratio. Just added it to the stable. If I had to do one, I’d begin again with the Acurite. Swell for 100-bucks. We’ll see over time…
Greg

my Acurite 5 in 1 seized up (wind vane and then the cups snapped off (was not UV resistant)
so if you live close to the ocean then maybe not a good choice (if you do not , then for the price, why not)
Acurite are coming out with a new station though (and nice new console and hub)
but no way to get data to a pc (other than via wunderground)

Back at you.

I completely agree with Brian re: being careful about weather stations if close to the ocean. My Acurite may yet not cut it. I live 1,400 feet from the Atlantic on a dune island called St Augustine (oldest city in America) and we see a bit of salt air. And two whopper hurricanes (typhoons) in two years. I may yet find the Acurite lacking here. I have just begun evaluating.

But the Acurite, thus far and if new, has seemed the most technically advanced, Internet, wifi connectivity, human interface and logging wise. Brian is absolutely right though, they do not make it easy to connect to his superior SW. And pretty may not mean sound. But what a nice local, friendly, easy to read human interface display 8O Everyone could learn from that. I hope it lasts.

Relatedly, my experience with Ambient Weather’s WS-1400-IP line has been disappointing. Though a good, responsive company, I am going on my third unit (under warranty) in one year. I have documented an MTBF (mean time before failure) of about 60-120 days for my units here in FL. The sensor transmitter predictably succumbs to moisture in that time. As a result, the exterior sensor unit becomes useless. Maybe salt is an issue here too, but I think it is dew frequency & high humidity. Being a tech guy, I would think a bit more attention to “potting” and component/connector sealing might help.

My Davis is still being evaluated. We’ll see. [It’s connectivity seems to be year 2000 vintage tho. Painful and archaic. Despite great senor rep.]

My Acurite is still being evaluated. We’ll see,
That’s the rest of my little story in my little world:)
Cheers,
Greg

Hi
Thanks for the input, I have done a bit of home work on the weatherflow (thanks Brian) and have decided to go for it.
There is a delay in production as they are still testing and fine tuning. I expect to receive mine some time in April
By the way Brian I have lost my registration code is there any way that you can send me a new one or do I have to re register?

Regards

Just email me the new code