Tide Program time format question

Good afternoon…
After some excellent assistance we received in getting the tide processor script to work, we have come across another issue. The Wx32tide.exe program will not retain the time format setting for the tideprediction.html file creation. Seems no matter how I set the time format in the configuration, the tideprediction.html file is created in 24 hour format. For a day or so it was created in 12 hour time format and the processor script would work as designed. I have replaced the Wx32tide.exe program, deleted the config file and recreated it, set the default time in WD to 12 hour format (it was 24 hour) all with out fixing the issue. The Wx32tide graphs, clock display, overview and everything else I can look at all retain the correct time format.
Obviously I am missing something here…help! :?

tideprediction.html uses tidedata2.txt

Hi Brian…

Ok, currently in the tidedata2.txt file there is the following :
“”

And in tidedata0.txt there is this:
"

Local Tide predictions

"

I am not sure exactly what code to add that will make the time format change to 12 hr. time.

-Bob

the time data is provided by wxtide program

IIRC, the tide program is picky about how you enter the program to make changes. I think you need to enter the tide program from WD to edit preferences that will give the desired output.

Hi Dan
I think I have to agree with you as to how picky the wxtide program is. So if I want to start over again with the tide module, have you come across a preferred way of taking out the existing version of wxtide and its associated files, and then adding it back in to WD?
I read in the help files for wxtide, that it is standalone and does not mess with the host PC’s registry.

-Bob

all that WD does is run the wxtide program in a way to get it to produce the reports
via a .bat file
i.e by passing commands to it

I suspect it uses your windows time format
try changing your default windows time format

Hi Brian
Ok, I understand that process, I verified that the PC running Weather Display is set to 12 hour time and is getting an hourly update from the time server local to my home.
I removed all the components for the wxtide program from the PC running weather display. (did not reboot the PC) I shut down Weather Display and allowed it to close cleanly. I restarted WD and went to the Tide Prediction control panel and when I pressed the “View/reload the latest predictions” button, I get data in 24 hour format that is current to the time and day. (insert confused look here) :confused1:

Thank you :slight_smile:
-Bob

here is my one
http://www.weather-display.com/windy/gb/tideprediction.html
and it is in 12 hour format with am/pm

and I am sure that will be dependent on your windows locale time settings

Hi Brian
Yes, my tideprediction.html file looks like that too, but ONLY 1 out of 30 times it gets created. What confuses me is that with out any of the wxtides.exe files installed on the PC, I am still getting tide data in the display window of the Tides control panel, and that data is in 24hour format regardless of how I have any other time settings set.

-Bob

if there is no wxtide32.exe program where WD is installed then WD will just use the last known report
i.e from the tidedata2.txt file
you would need to delete that

Hey brian,

Can you explain the tidein.txt and the tideout.txt files in the main file. that is where we found the corrupted data.

Hey Guys,

Deleted all files and program wxtides32

Reinstalled and customized the file WITHOUT 24hr time.

Computer and WD and everything is in 12HR time

tidein.txt (3.8 KB)

tidein.txt (3.8 KB)

not sure why the text output by the tide program is in 24 hour format for you

mine is in 12 hour format with am/pm
see
http://www.weather-display.com/windy/gb/tideprediction.html

Hey Brian,

Do you want me to look into the company who made the program or would it be on the WD end?

Thanks

its not a WD problem
as WD is not producing the data, the tide program is
but its something about your pc and setup and windows settings I suspect

Hi Brian…
We have gotten the time format to be somewhat stable, I am not totally sure what or where the underlying issue is, but for now it is working. BUT, there is ALWAYS a but in the computer world, 2 things I have noticed…at 6am, the tide data and graphic is not updated and uploaded as the control panel indicates it should and now the front page dash board script is not processing the tide data. I did check the settings for the dashboard tide section and it matches the tide processor script settings. Not sure why, now that the time is fixed, this function has failed.

What I found in diving deep into the bowels of this systems registry is this, ALL of the Windows OS settings dealing with time and format for the UI are set to display time in 12 hour format. Machine level time display, i.e. at the DOS command prompt, always returns the time in 24 hour format.

I did come to realize that the tide program has trouble if you want to customize it, tends to get cranky if too many changes are made at one time. (we are still tweaking things)

Thank you for your time and assistance…

-Bob